About this Event
What to teach? When to screen? How to cater for the range in ability?
This full-day seminar provides educators working within the Foundation year with the knowledge and tools required to explicitly target pre-literacy and early literacy in a systematic fashion. This seminar explains the implementation of PLD’s structured synthetic phonics programs (SSP) within the Foundation year. It outlines PLD’s targeted teaching and the associated tracking and reporting of skill development. The implementation of this preventative program aims to set up young learners for success in their literacy acquisition.
The presentation is recommended for all educators working within Foundation (WA).
The presentation outlines:
- How children typically read first, spell second and write third.
- The two core skills that enable a child to decode, the three core skills that facilitate early spelling and the range of skills that facilitate writing.
- Targeted pre-literacy skill development early in the school year, so that the prerequisites for literacy learning are established.
- Time efficient pre-literacy assessments as well as decoding and spelling assessments.
- The adoption of the PLD’s tracking sheets in order to establish a plan for the upcoming term.
- How to introduce reading, spelling and writing initially in a supported and early childhood manner.
- The instruction of high-frequency words and the relevance of decodable reading material.
- Short speech pathology-derived oral language targeted teaching which facilitates the ability to speak in grammatically correct sentences.
The Foundation school year is an important year of literacy learning. This seminar aims to equip teachers with knowledge and resources that will enable more students to receive a positive start to their schooling and literacy development.
About the Presenter:
Emily Paget (Grad. Dip. ECE & Ba. Comm)
Educator and School Support Coordinator at PLD.
Emily is a committed teacher who has over 14 years of experience in the classroom. All 14 of these years, she has utilised the PLD programs to guarantee academic growth and success for her students. Emily is passionate about ensuring all students have access to high-quality teaching and learning so that no child is left behind.
For more information and to view the seminar flyer, click here.
I enjoyed the seminar. You continue to be an inspiration. It is great to have someone in education who is so grounded and sensible!
Rebecca - Learning Support Co-ordinator K-6
I just need to say that we are loving your programs. It is so fantastic to have a program that is so air tight and guides us each term so that we all know what everyone is doing. We have implemented both the literacy and language programs including a home based comprehension program this year and we are seeing FANTASTIC results from our children. I feel very confident that we have prepared them well for formal literacy learning and we are really excited to see how the children are placed compared to other years. Keep up the great work and thank you!!!
Fiona - Pre Primary Teacher and PLD coordinator
Initially I was concerned that the seminar would be all about the PLD programs. Very useful information to use with or without the PLD programs.
Lisa – Preparatory teacher QLD
I have nothing but praise for the skills you have taught me and the results I have had with the children. You not only provided us with the resources and planning but also how to teach the children in a specific and meaningful way which guarantees success. At last there is someone who knows how it should be done!!
Meryl – Experienced Junior Primary Teacher
Frequently Asked Questions
Where is nearby parking?
Can I access public transport to get to PLD?
I don’t have access to a credit card to buy a seminar ticket - can you send me an invoice?
How do I transfer to a different seminar or date?
Have another question? Please click to view the full range of FAQs.
Event Venue & Nearby Stays
PLD Literacy and Learning, 116 Parry Street, Perth, Australia
AUD 219.00 to AUD 249.00