About this Event
Develop your innate skills of representational drawing by taking a deep dive into the world of still life! In this class we will explore various types of mark making. We will use charcoal as our primary medium and work with both line and value as we develop dynamic compositions. In addition to material concerns, we’ll explore the conceptual and thematic as well, looking at the long history of symbolism within the still life genre. The class will culminate with drawings of personalized arrangements utilizing some of our newly honed skills.
Class one- Brief intro to course. Shape and line
Break down of composition into shapes
Quick shape drawings (warm ups, 1 - 5 minute croquie technique)
Quick demonstration on line/ line weight as way to indicate form
Longer drawing using overall shapes as the building blocks
Class two- Tonal Drawing
Demo of tonal/eraser drawing
10ish minutes of prep compositional sketching
Longer tonal drawing (or several shorter drawings)
Class three- Still life as Symbolism
- Examples of how still life has communicated conceptual concerns through time
- Cross hatching demo
- Students set up still life using own objects
- 10 - 30 minutes of prep drawing. “What does this image mean to me/viewer?”
- Begin longer drawing utilizing mix of techniques covered
- Photo document arrangement if continuing next class
Class four- Continue final drawing
- Continue on arrangement from last class (or begin new)
- Opportunity for people to look at work/ share motivation for final piece
All levels welcome!
October 26th, 28th and November 2nd and 4th
Tacony LAB Class Enrollment and Attendance Policy
The Tacony LAB’s classes are unique in Philadelphia: we do not charge tuition or any sort of fees for any of our classes.
Our classes are popular and often have wait-lists. If you enroll in a class, please commit to attending it!
How to enroll in a Tacony LAB class:
• You may enroll IN PERSON at the LAB beginning 3 weeks before a class first meets. Please check the “About” section of the LAB’s Facebook page for open hours or call the LAB at 267-686-7420 to hear the hours.
• You may enroll online using Eventbrite beginning one week before a class first meets (provided there are still spaces) by visiting our Eventbrite page: www.eventbrite.com/o/the-tacony-lab-community-arts-center-1…
• You may come to the first class and enroll at that time, providing space is available. For same day enrollment, please arrive 15 minutes prior to the start of the class.
Only one registration per person will be accepted. Each student attending the class must register with their name and email address. Multiple registrations under the same name will not be honored.
If you enroll ahead of time and do not attend the first class, you will be removed from the roster and your place will be offered to another student.
If you need to miss subsequent classes or decide you no longer wish to attend, please notify the LAB by phone call or email ahead of time.
If you do not notify the LAB of absence or withdrawal, you will not be able to enroll in another class until 3 months have passed.
(Art Club for Kids and certain other workshops do not require enrollment.)
Event Venue & Nearby Stays
The Tacony LAB Community Arts Center, 6918 Torresdale Avenue, Philadelphia, United States