Location: Canmore AB
Price: $95 + Tax
WAIT...WHERE AM I???
Learn how to be independent! No need to follow your GPS or your partner, they're just pretending they know where they are going anyway! Join us outside for a day of getting un-lost.
By the end of the day you'll be able to find north without a compass (or GPS), match the terrain around you to the map, use a compass to orient the map to north, and tell your friends what the squiggly lines on a topo map mean! Phew, that is a lot to cover, but are we ever going to have fun!
Topics to be covered include:
- Map Reading (legend, scale, grid reference, map symbols, map interpretation)
- Determining a grid reference or UTM
- How to plan out a route
- Identifying map features in the field
- How to take a compass bearing
- Orientating yourself on the map
8:30 am - Meet in Canmore (location TBD closer to the date)
10:30 am - head to trailhead
3:30 pm - head home and share our new skills
Participants must provide:
- Canmore Kananaskis Gem Trek Map
- Compass with adjustable declination
- Hiking Boots
- Personal Gear (sent in registration email)
- 1 L of water
- Registration for the optional full moon hike (see our other events)
What is Included:
- Instruction from an ACMG Guide
- Backcountry skills learning
- All safety equipment - bear spray, communication device, first aid kit
Level of Difficulty:
Easy - moderate. Trail will be decided closer to the course dates. The trail is approximately 5km through the bush and 300 m elevation.
Event Venue & Nearby Stays
Canmore, Alberta, Canada