About this Event
Learn the basics of abstract painting with oils and compatible abstract methods, including R&F Pigment Sticks and Cold Wax Medium!
In this class, we'll discover why oil paints are a favorite among many artists. There are so many options for creating abstracts with oils.
We will focus on tubed oil paint, R&F Pigment Sticks, and the Gamblin Sampler Kit that includes our texture-making mediums like alkyd, solvent-free gel, and cold wax medium.
We will explore how to:
- use oil paint & layering
- clean up oil paint ... the solvent-free way
- paint without a brush & unusual tools
- mix colors
- create interesting textures
- incorporate mixed media
- build strong compositions
Students will get to practice our weekly lessons with hands-on exercises with guidance, peer interaction, and 1-on-1 feedback from the instructor.
Walk away with 16 small paintings on paper and a stronger confidence in your color and composition skills.
We want to keep this course as odorless and toxic-free as possible. Please no mineral spirits or turpentine.
- Strathmore 400 Series Oil Painting Pad - 18" x 24", 10 Sheets
- 20x30 inch foam board, 1/2 thickness (Michaels)
- 12x16 pad of palette paper (gray is helpful)
- 1 metal palette knife (Liquitex Freestyle #14 or #15 in the small size is a great option)
- 1 medium sampler set by Gamblin (comes with a booklet and a clear pouch)
- Gamblin 1980 Introductory Oil Paint Set - 8 colors with bonus solvent-free gel and bonus painting panel
- R&F Pigment Stick trial set or 2-3 of your favorite colors in the 38ml size (have ziplock bag for these)
- R&F Blending Stick with Drier, 38ml
- 2 mini or small jars with lids for using as oil medium cups (glass or stainless steel)
- 1-2 brushes, any shape, any size between 0-6
- squeeze bottle filled with regular ol' vegetable oil
- quality paper towels like Viva or Blue Shop Towel
- Next session: July 24 - August 14
- Cost $165 (4 classes)
- MON AM from 10:30am-1:30pm
- Max 8 students
- All skill levels welcome
- Age level: adult (18 & up)
Event Venue & Nearby Stays
Art on 30th, 4434 30th Street, San Diego, United States