About this Event
The Child Welfare Academy is providing a free 2-day training to professionals in the child welfare and child protective services that will address root causes of barriers that prevent timely and positive permanency and wellbeing outcomes for children. The Academy seeks to mitigate the racial and class bias that is inherent in the child welfare system; and improve the value that the child welfare system places on family engagement.
The Child Welfare Academy offers professional social work certificates from the Steve Hicks School of Social Work at The University of Texas at Austin.
1. The Social Work Certificate in Child Welfare Services is designed for helping professionals at child placing agencies, shelters, residential treatment centers, and group homes; attorneys, judges, and other judicial staff; mental health providers; employees at other support agencies; and volunteers with any of these above agencies.
2. The Social Work Certificate in Child Protection Services is designed for Child Protective Services employees at the Department of Family and Protective Services, workers for Single Source Continuum Contractors, and related agencies taking on child protection roles. Participants in this certificate program are encouraged to complete the Child Welfare Service Certificate if they do not have a social work degree.
Learn more on our website.Trainings on Day 1 will include:
- Structural Racism Part 1: Structural Racism in the Child Protection System -The History and Today
- Structural Racism Part 2: The Impact of Systemic Structural Racism on Families in the Child Protection System
- The 5 Principles of Socially Just Child Welfare Practice
- Structural Racism Part 3: Challenging structural racism in your day to day work and interviewing families to reach across differences
Trainings on Day 2 include:
Social Work Certificate in Child Welfare Services
- Developmental Trauma among Children and their Parents: Interacting with Clients with Understanding and Empathy
- Connections for a Lifetime: Creating and Maintaining Relationships for Children in Foster Care
- Daring Greatly in Child Welfare Work
Social Work Certificate in Child Protection Services
- Reimagining Child Protection Work Series
Training Coordinator: Cassandra Mendoza, [email protected]
Training in collaboration with Growing Edge
CEUs Offered: 1 per course
Event Venue & Nearby Stays
Central Houston Area, TBD, Houston, United States