About this Event
Plastic taking over our seas. Artificial intelligence changing how we work. Pollution harming our communities. Misinformation on the rise.
You've seen the headlines. Yet in a world of sound bites, hot takes, and information overload, it's easy to feel daunted by the challenges and changes that are shaping our world.
How do we know where to start? Where do we go to engage with voices and perspectives that we haven't heard before? Or connect with others asking the same questions? What do we need to understand about ourselves, each other, and the world we've built, in order to build a better one?
Illuminations is an art and science showcase that combines the insights of experts from across perspectives with the visual storytelling of artists from around the world. It's an interactive experience designed to replace talking heads with meaningful discourse, problems with possibilities, and fear with imagination.
This isn't your average art show or science exhibit. It's a lively, experiential gathering designed for you to stay open, informed, and engaged. In a world driven by powerful systems that can make the voices and actions of individuals feel small, we hope it can be a place where you can connect with meaningful ways to participate in creating more sustainable and equitable communities.
Join us on an illustrated journey to explore possibilities, engage with diverse points of view, and immerse yourself in the vibrant conversations that are shaping our futures.
The fun stuff
- Grab a bite. We'll have food for sale on-site (think casual, food truck-style), with plenty of places for you to set up, eat, and join a conversation. More details coming soon.
- Grab a drink. There are two bars on-site serving up beer, wine, cocktails, and thoughtfully selected non-alcoholic beverages.
- Enjoy the journey. Take your time! We've got art, interactive installations, lounges, science storytelling, and a playlist crafted by a local DJ to give you plenty of ways to tap into your ideas and imagination.
- Connect with experts. Many of us too rarely have access to engage with the experts in our communities, such as scholars, scientists, practitioners, specialists, and Indigenous knowledge keepers. At each opening, experts from the featured issues will be present throughout the lounges so that you can ask questions and exchange insights and ideas.
- Join the conversation. We recommend putting aside around 2.5 - 3 hours, so that you have plenty of time to explore the exhibits, enjoy a drink and bite, and share your thoughts in some of the conversation lounges set up throughout the space.
- Keep it going. When you arrive, you'll receive an interactive booklet filled with stories, local community organizations and actions, conversation prompts, ideas, and plenty of room for your notes and doodles. It's a tool for you to bring the ideas home so that the show is just the start.
The important stuff
- Flexible Arrival Time. There is no need to show up right at the beginning of your showtime. In fact, we encourage you to come whenever works best for you, to avoid a long line at the start of each event. Show up any time. Just give yourself ~3 hours to get the most out of the experience.
- Age Restrictions. Illuminations was designed specifically for adults. While we love creating programs for students and families, we don't expect this event's content to be suitable for kids. All evening showings are 18+ and ID is required. Weekend matinees are all ages, with the caveat that you are responsible for ensuring that your kids stay safe and respectful of other guests' experience.
More questions? Check out the FAQs below or visit the Illuminations website here.
Want to volunteer? Let us know here.
ILLUMINATIONS IS SUPPORTED BY THE SIMONS FOUNDATION.
Event Venue & Nearby Stays
The Foundry SF, 1425 Folsom Street, San Francisco, United States
USD 12.50 to USD 125.00