About this Event
While the Manhattan neighborhood of TriBeCa is known today for its namesake film festival, celebrity sightings, and high-end private homes, it was anything but for nearly 400 years. This is the real story of the sailors, merchants, and artists that once called this neighborhood home, and the historical remnants of its artistic and industrial past — with an exclusive peek inside one of its most historic spaces.
Join New York Adventure Club as we explore the rich history and story of TriBeCa ("Triangle Below Canal Street"), a New York City neighborhood that can trace its roots back to the old Dutch days when the land was known as New Amsterdam.
Led by NYC tour guide and TriBeCa native Gardiner Comfort, our neighborhood journey around this fascinating and eclectic small corner of Manhattan's "Lower West Side" will include:
- How New York tamed the TriBeCa landscape and its original wetlands to suit its expansion
- A discussion around the neighborhood's rise with the creation of Washington Market in 1812, once the city's main retail and wholesale food distribution point filled with seed, spice, and cheese importers
- The importance of Tribeca as a center of import, with a focus on the maritime industry, the piers, and longshoremen
- TriBeCa's unique architecture, from its patchwork of landmark designation to the fragility of beautiful buildings in a business-minded city
- The celebration of artists who settled in unused industrial spaces, established their community, and influenced the city for years to come
- An exclusive visit to the historic and eccentric loft space of the Ear Inn, one of New York's oldest bars, for a look at rare artifacts from the 1812 house on Spring Street
Our experience will conclude back on the ground floor of Ear Inn, which has food and drinks available for purchase!
See you there!
*Please bring a water bottle and comfortable pair of shoes as we’ll be doing a lot of walking!
**Optional access into the Ear Inn loft is only accessible by a steep set of stairs
Event takes place rain or shine.
By attending a New York Adventure Club experience, you accept our terms of service.
Categories: In-Person, Neighborhood Tours
Event Venue & Nearby Stays
Stuyvesant High School (West Side Highway & Chambers St by Citi Bike Station), 345 Chambers Street, New York, United States