About this Event
How did a 19th-century parcel of land on the westside of Manhattan transform from a sleepy estate owned by famed poet Clement Clarke Moore into one of today's chicest New York City neighborhoods? And how did a group of cowboys play a crucial role in public safety somewhere in between? It's time to hit the streets to discover one of New York's most interesting neighborhoods and its historic gems hiding in plain sight.
Join New York Adventure Club as we explore the rich history and transformation of New York's neighborhood of Chelsea, from its days as an apple orchard in the 19th century to becoming a center for fine art galleries in the 21st century.
Led by NYC tour guide Ginny Poleman, our curated path through the history of Chelsea will include:
- A then-and-now comparison of the neighborhood using maps, illustrations, and photos, which dates back to the 19th century
- A walk by Chelsea’s oldest house and the landmarked Cushman Row, a collection of town homes that Clement Clarke Moore helped shape into a fashionable neighborhood
- Why cowboys were employed to wrangle pedestrians on Tenth Avenue (also known as Death Avenue), and their relationship with the repurposed elevated railway now known as the High Line
- The evolution of The Hotel Chelsea, New York’s first cooperative apartment building, along with the homes of bohemians of literature and music like Mark Twain, Allen Ginsberg, and Cher
- A trip through the halls of Chelsea Market, the original home of NBC — not the TV network, but the National Biscuit Company now better known as Nabisco
Our experience will conclude in Chelsea Market, which has tons of food, drinks, and retail options available for purchase from many local vendors!
See you there!
*Please bring a water bottle and comfortable pair of shoes as we’ll be doing a lot of walking!
**This tour concludes at Chelsea Market on 9th Avenue between 15th and 16th Streets
Ginny Poleman is a graduate of Cornell University, a licensed NYC tour guide, docent for the Municipal Art Society, as well as an educational and costume collection guide for New York’s largest art museum. Additionally, she offers private tours for her own company, NYC Encounters, covering New York City Art, Architecture, and History. You can follow her on Instagram and Facebook at @Art_Encounters and @NYC.Encounters.
"Loved it!" -Aigul
"Going into places off the beaten track." -Tracy
"The tour guide was excellent!" -Zandra
"The knowledge and extra research done by the guide" -Erick
Event takes place rain or shine.
By attending a New York Adventure Club experience, you accept our terms of service.
Photo Credit: Main Photo - Dansnguyen
Categories: In-Person, Neighborhood Tours
Event Venue & Nearby Stays
The High Line Hotel (Outside the Main Gate), 180 10th Avenue, New York, United States