About this Event
Channel the sun: learn to cook food with it's heat
Did you know that
- the rooftop bar at D.C.'s Conrad-Hilton is serving solar cooked food and using the cooker to dehydrate rooftop garden herbs?
- a solar cooking system at Saibaba's Ashram, India, is used to feed thousands of people every day. It saves 220,000 lbs of fossil fuel annually and keeps the air cleaner.
- Solar Cookers International (SCI) advises the U.N. that solar cooking is one of the paths toward achieving the UN's Sustainable Development Goals? SCI and other NGOs provide solar cookers, cooking and cooker- construction classes around the world - including refugee camps - to reduce deforestation, to encourage solar cooker enterprises and to make life safer and healthier for refugees.
Solar cooking is easy and very forgiving. For instance:
- Food doesn't burn. You can leave beans and grains to cook while you hike, bike, work, do errands...
- Solar cooked vegetables and meat slow cook in their own juices
- You can cook on cold, sunny days - even with snow on the ground!
Solar cooking can be super affordable!
At this workshop:
1. We're going to demonstrate the easily portable $15 DIY cooker featured above, that weighs 8 oz., fits into a small bag and works very well for camping, sunny yards & balconies.
2. We'll demonstrate cooking and baking in 2 different styles of solar ovens and 3 different solar cookers.
3. We'll eat what we cook while we discuss how to integrate solar cooking into camping trips, weekend meals, living outdoors, cooking at the beach ... the sun's the limit.
4. We'll cook vegan food at the workshop and discuss how to cook meat, fish & poultry.
5. We will have DIY solar cooker kits available for a $15 donation that covers material costs. Larger donations will be forwarded to solar cooker non-profits whose work eases the lives of people around the world.
These cooking kits are based on the award winning Copenhagen solar cooker.
- Mylar cooker kit (above) includes pre-painted side and bottom panels, roasting bags, mylar, HVAC tape, clips, and a shoelace to hold it all together!
- Silver cooker kit (below) includes reflective bottom and side panels, non-toxic paint, brush, HVAC tape, roasting bags, clips and a shoelace to hold it all together!
Cooking Cooking Thanksgiving lunch, 2021, at LA EcoVillage.
Event Venue & Nearby Stays
Los Angeles Eco-Village, 117 Bimini Place, Los Angeles, United States
USD 10.00 to USD 20.00