About this Event
Nothing beats a home-cooked meal shared with family! And this is what inspires our Family Style Cookery Classes, a fun, laid-back homestyle cooking experience. Here, you will learn to prepare different dishes and then enjoy them with people who, like you, fuel our mission of supporting refugee and migrant chefs on their journey to integration. It’s a cookery class with a conscience, like they say!
Your class will be led by our wonderful Chef Najee from Afghanistan at the in Clerkenwell, London.
At our Family Style Cookery Classes, you will be grouped with other participants and prepare dishes together as a team. Think of Chef Najee as the head of the family! He will take care of dividing the class into groups, and each group will be responsible for creating one of the dishes. Of course, you are welcome and encouraged to move around during the class to learn about the other dishes being prepared. Throughout the evening, Chef Najee will share stories about their food and culture, and explain how to prepare each of the dishes so you come away with some new cooking tricks and inspiration from Afghanistan. You will also be emailed the recipes after the class.
Menu, subject to change:
- Borani Badanjan Seya (Fried Aubergine with Dried Yogurt)| Vegetarian; Milk.
- Kormah Bamieh (Okra and Tomato Stew)| Vegan
- Barenj borah Beryan (Afghan Rice with burnt sugar)| Vegan; Gluten (Wheat).
- Mantu and Ashak (Steamed Meat Dumplings and Leek Dumplings)| Meat (Beef) and Vegetarian; Eggs, Gluten (Wheat), Milk.
- Doogh (Refreshing Yogurt and Cucumber Drink)| Vegetarian; Milk.
- Salatah (Afghan Salad)| Vegan; Sulphites.
This menu contains meat (beef) but is vegetarian friendly (5/6 dishes are meat-free).
Allergens include: gluten (wheat), eggs, milk, sulphites.
Please let us know if you have any specific dietary requirements so our team is aware ahead of the class
Kindly note that we will not be substituting any ingredients to accommodate dietary needs, so please only book into classes that suit your dietary requirements. Allergen information for this class will be updated closer to the class time. Please see our when booking into the class for more information.
A message from our Chef Najee:
"My name is Najee. I am from Panjshir in Afghanistan and grew up in a big family in the country’s capital city, Kabul.
I would spend my time walking and exploring the historical places in the city and became interested in art and architecture. I started drawing when I was very young and my work depicts traditional life in Afghanistan.
I always see art in food. When I am cooking, I don’t just consider the taste. Food has to look good and I spend time designing its presentation.
I realised that I had a talent for cooking when I was a teenager when friends invited me to their homes - not as a guest, but to cook for them!
I am very proud of Afghan food. We don’t have a lot of ingredients but the care we take in preparing food makes it one of the tastiest cuisines in the world. In my class, I have used my art to create a feast for your tastebuds and your eyes."
We’re excited to have you in the class! Please take note of a few final reminders:
- We will send you a reminder email 3 days before the class takes place that will include our In-Person Class COVID-19 Policy. You can also find more information on our website and social media pages.
- This small-scale class for 14 participants is not socially distanced. For those seeking a Covid-secure cookery class, please see our online events.
- We require a minimum of 6 participants to run this class and reserve the right to cancel it due to insufficient enrolment. If this occurs, we will, at your convenience, transfer you to another class of your choice of the same value. If this option does not suit you, you will have the choice to receive either a gift voucher for the class or a full refund. In the case of insufficient enrolment, we will inform you at least 6 days before the class.
- Payments made through Paypal can take up to 48 hours to have the order confirmed. To guarantee your spot in a cookery class we recommend using a debit or credit card.
- We only process refunds and ticket transfers if we are notified 7 days before the class takes place. No changes are allowed if the class is missed. When you register for this event, you are agreeing to our Terms and Conditions. If you are not able to attend the class, you can pass on your tickets so someone else can attend on your behalf.
- Ingredients used in our classes contain, may contain, or may have been manufactured/prepared on shared equipment with the 14 allergens listed above. We cannot guarantee that any food or drink prepared or consumed in any of the Migrateful Cookery Classes are free from any of the 14 allergens, or any other ingredient. Migrateful’s Cookery Classes are hosted in our busy cookery school or in external venues that handle allergens. Even in classes where allergens are not used, the ingredients for the class may have been stored in close proximity to allergens and other ingredients, and/or equipment and surfaces may have previously come into contact with allergens and other ingredients. Participants attend classes at their own risk.
Event Venue & Nearby Stays
Migrateful Cookery School, Corporation Row, London, United Kingdom