About this Event
Are you considering setting up your own business, or going self employed? Or else new to business and want to check you have a handle on the basics? If so, this introductory one day business course is for you!
We will cover:
• the pros and cons of setting up in business
• how to tell if being in business will be right for you
• how to check whether your ideas are viable
• where to source funding
• how to develop a business model
• choosing a legal status
• doing market research
• common legal considerations e.g. licences, health and safety, terms and conditions, insurance, data protection, intellectual property
• financial issues e.g. banking, pricing, taking payment, cashflow management, record keeping & tax
We will explain what resources are available at BIPC and elsewhere in the city to help support you on your business journey after the course.
Funded and provided by BIPC Bristol
This course is funded by BIPC Bristol and is free of charge for residents and businesses based in Bristol City Council areas.
This session will be held face to face in Bristol Central Library training room. Numbers will be strictly limited. We anticipate that the course will be oversubscribed and that there will be a wait list. If you book and later find you cannot attend please advise us ASAP so that someone else can benefit from your place.
Tea and coffee will be provided. You are welcome to bring a packed lunch, alternatively there is a café on site.
About your trainer
Emma Smith is a SFEDI accredited business adviser who lives in Bristol and has real world experience of being in business. She specialises in supporting start-ups and those in their early years of trading. Since 2007, she has assisted hundreds of people across the city, from all sorts of backgrounds and industries, to start and run their ventures.
About BIPC Bristol
At BIPC Bristol we help and support aspiring entrepreneurs, start-ups and small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) across Bristol. We offer a range of business services across four main themes:
• Intellectual Property guidance, help and legal advice
• free access to business intelligence resources and databases including market research, grants, company data and reports
• one-to-one sessions with advisors and experts, workshops and networking events
• spaces to meet, study and research your business planning
The Business & IP Centre Bristol supports people to start, protect and grow their businesses. Visit Bristol Central Library to access our free market research and intellectual property databases and take part in our regular programme of workshops and events.
What is your refund policy?
Our events are free, but places are limited and events are usually oversubscribed. Please give two working days’ notice via email if you wish to cancel.
Can I attend if I'm not a member of the library?
Absolutely! Any Bristol based business or person with a business idea is welcome. Though we always recommend joining the library as it's free and will make accessing our databases, books and publications much easier.
How can I find out about any news & upcoming events?
Follow us on Eventbrite and you can also follow us on Twitter and Instagram for the latest news and events. For more information on BIPC Bristol check out our web pages: https://www.bristol.gov.uk/BIPC
Event Venue & Nearby Stays
Bristol Central Library, College Green, Bristol, United Kingdom