About this Event
While many know The Wizard of Oz as a work of noted literature and a classic of the American film canon, few are familiar with its mythological significance. Creator, L. Frank Baum was involved with the burgeoning Theosophy movement of the era and included numerous symbols, motifs, and themes in his story that also found their way into the film. Heavily influenced by ancient wisdom traditions, The Wizard of Oz functions as a portal into a world of esoteric wonder. Join John Bucher, Creative Director for the Joseph Campbell Foundation, as he explores these ideas, as well as the collective heroic, a new framing of Campbell’s famous Hero’s Journey that can be seen in the film.
John Bucher is a mythologist and storyteller based out of Hollywood, California. He serves as Creative Director for the Joseph Campbell Foundation and is also an author, podcaster, and speaker. He has worked with companies including HBO, DC Comics, The History Channel, A24 Films, The John Maxwell Leadership Foundation and served as a consultant and writer for numerous film, television, and Virtual Reality projects. He is the author of six books including the best-selling Storytelling for Virtual Reality, named by BookAuthority as one of the best storytelling books of all time. Disruptor named him one of the top 25 influencers in Virtual Reality. John teaches writing and story courses in the Los Angeles area and around the world. He holds a PhD in Mythology and Depth Psychology and has spoken on 6 continents about using the power of story and myth to reframe how individuals, organizations, cultures, and nations are viewed.
TICKETS AVAILABLE IN PERSON AND VIA ZOOM. IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE THE LINK 1 WEEK PRIOR TO THE EVENT OR IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE EMAIL [email protected]
COVID-19 Protocols for the Philosophical Research Society
To ensure safety for visitors and staff, PRS has implemented the following measures:
- Please stay home if you are feeling sick. Check the CDC website for coronavirus symptoms.
- Please do not visit if you come in close contact with someone who has COVID-19 or COVID-19 symptoms in the 14 days prior to your visit.
- Face masks are strongly recommended to all visitors and staff indoors. See LA County recommendations.
- Please use the outdoor courtyard when eating or drinking.
- Capacity is limited for the purposes of safety.
- Hand sanitizer stations are available throughout the campus.
- All visitors must follow the posted rules.
Los Angeles County: https://covid19.lacounty.gov
Los Angeles City: https://coronavirus.lacity.org
Event Venue & Nearby Stays
Philosophical Research Society, 3910 Los Feliz Boulevard, Los Angeles, United States