As twilight descends be entertained by this joyous outdoor production of Shakespeare’s enduringly popular comedy Twelfth Night.
Performed under the stars in the beautiful natural setting of Adelaide Botanic Garden this hilarious yet moving comedy of loss and reunion will give you a night to remember through music and an immersive experience of nature.
Produced by Shakespeare South Australia and presented as part of the Botanica Lumina program Twelfth Night stars award-winning performers Michaela Burger Alys Daroy Shedrick Yarkpai and a full cast of South Australia’s leading classical actors.
Twelfth Night follows orphaned twins Viola and Sebastian’s separation at sea and the resultant ‘comedy of errors’ of mistaken identity gender-swapping and merry misrule while also inviting deeper considerations of environment and self place and identity loss and homecoming.
Following a time in which distance and separation have become all too real Twelfth Night offers a chance for us to share in its catharses entanglements reunions and ultimately celebrations amongst the 'sweet beds of flowers' in South Australia's most iconic garden.
Make a night of it and bring snacks to enjoy as you relax and unwind on the lawns before the performance. Patrons can also pre-order a delicious picnic box of goodies from the Gardens Café and Kiosk.
A bar will be available on the night for both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks.
We invite you to rug up bring a low-chair or picnic blanket and be transported to a world where all is not quite what it seems.
Cast: Michaela Burger (Feste) Shedrick Yarkpai (Orsino) Alys Daroy (Olivia) Elisa Armstrong (Viola) Michael Baldwin (Malvolio) Paul Westbrook (Sir Toby Belch) Sam Dugmore (Sir Andrew Aguecheek) Kate Van Der Horst (Mariah) David Daradan (Sebastian) and Melanie Munt (Antonia).
Director: Charles Mayer (Director) Alys Daroy (Company Artistic Director)
- “One of the finest voices this State has produced” —The Sunday Mail
- “Strikingly original … one of Australia’s leading voices” —The Advertiser
- “Pure bliss to watch heaven to listen to”— Glam Adelaide
- “Five stars: A stand out performance by Alys Daroy” — Time Out London
- “Destined to be one of the leading stage actresses of her generation” —Sky TV Take 101.
- “Absolutely riveting. From her first entrance to her last there was not a moment missed” — Andrew Muir Shakespeare in Cambridge
- “Elisa Armstrong is a strong forceful presence who owns the stage” — Australian Stage Online
- “Elisa Armstrong charges the stage...owning the entirety of her proud and disastrously stubborn character” — The Plus Ones
Duration: Two hours plus interval
Location: Palm House Lawns Adelaide Botanic Garden – enter via Main Gate on North Tce only
Who: This performance is suitable for all ages but please note that this is not a children’s production
FOOD AND BEVERAGE
Ticket-holders are welcome to bring their own food. However please note that due to garden regulations BYO alcohol is not permitted. A bar will be available on the night for both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks.
Picnic boxes with vegetarian vegan and gluten-free options are available to pre-order here.
Please pre-order your picnic box before midday on Friday 22 October 2021.
Parking is located nearby on Rundle Road or catch the tram with the stop just out the front near the Main Gate on North Terrace.
WHAT TO BRING
Seating is not provided at this event. Please bring your picnic rugs bean bags cushions low chairs blankets warm clothes and an umbrella if required (umbrellas cannot be used during the performance).
Please note this event is outdoors and on grass during spring time. Please consider the weather forecast and dress suitably as well as any allergies. In the case of inclement weather the event may be cancelled and ticket holders will be notified and offered another date. Refunds will only apply if you are not available to attend the rescheduled date.
The event has wheelchair access however patrons are advised that it takes place on a grass surface. Please let us know if you have any mobility needs.
Shakespeare SA is committed to environmentally-sensitive theatre and the exploration of emerging eco-theatrical practices that are sustainable and have an enhanced presence of nature on stage.
The safety and well-being of our visitors volunteers and staff is our highest priority.
We are mindful of concerns surrounding COVID-19 and are following all federal and state government policy and directives. We are closely monitoring updates through SA Health and the impact of COVID-19 on our community.
In response we are implementing some COVID-safe protocols and ask you to please remember to:
- Use the QR Code to check-in when you arrive at the event.
- Maintain 1.5m social distance between groups – there is plenty of room for social distancing at the venue.
- Practise good hygiene wash your hands regularly and utilise the hand sanitiser available.
- Wearing of face masks is welcome.
- If you have any COVID-19 symptoms (flu-like symptoms such as fever cough sore throat fatigue or shortness of breath) please refrain from attending the event and contact staff to discuss options.
Event Venue & Nearby Stays
Adelaide Botanic Gardens Palm House, North TerraceAdelaide 5000, Adelaide, Australia