About this Event
It's never too late to learn to bicycle! Instructors will work one-on-one to assist participants in learning the basics of balancing, starting, stopping and steering a bike, as well as proper helmet fit and adjustment. Most people learn to ride their bike while taking the class, but even if they don't, they will leave with tips to continue teaching themselves to ride.
- The first step will be balancing on your bicycle; instructors will first remove the pedals and lower the seat enough so that you can put both feet on the ground.
- You'll learn balance by taking longer and longer steps until you're "gliding."
- Then, once you've got that down, we'll show you how to turn confidently and stop smoothly.
- Once you feel comfortable, we'll reinstall the pedals, so you can incorporate pedaling and learning to steer, and how to steer precisely in circles and figure-eights.
- You'll finish your lesson by learning how to shift gears so you can handle hills and prepare for more city riding.
Please be sure you can sit on your bike seat with both feet flat on the ground.
A bicycle will be provided for this class. There is no need to bring a bicycle, but you are welcome to bring your own if you have one.
Please contact Chester Hartsough ([email protected]/415-323-0564) with any questions about this program.
This class is part of the SFMTA’s Bicycle Safety Education program, presented in partnership with the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition. This project is made possible by the San Francisco County Transportation Authority through a grant of Proposition K Local Transportation Sales Tax Funds.
Event Venue & Nearby Stays
Escuela San Pedro, 1249 Alabama St, San Francisco, United States