About this Event
Sargent’s El Jaleo: What’s Goya got to do with it?
Writing of John Singer Sargent’s painting El Jaleo on exhibition in Paris in 1882, critics were quick to identify Goya’s etchings of Los Caprichos as inspiration. It is time to reconsider. We follow Sargent to Spain in the fall of 1879 to recreate lessons he learned from Goya, which two years later subtly informed his masterful scene of Spanish dance.
This conference by expert Janis Tomlinson is linked to the John Singer Sargent's Fascination with Spain Explored in Landmark Exhibition at National Gallery of Art.
Important Information (please read carefully)
- A reservation on Eventbrite is mandatory, printed tickets are not required.
- Seating is available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Doors open 20 minutes before posted showtime.
- Ticket holders will have access to the event while space is available. A reservation does not guarantee admission.
- Ticket holders should arrive at least 10 minutes prior to the start to guarantee seats.
- No Late Seating, ticket holders may not be allowed to enter 15 minutes after posted showtime.
- Right of admission reserved.
- If you need special assistance, please contact us at [email protected]
Additional Visitor Guidelines and Safety Measures
This activity takes place indoors. All guests must be fully vaccinated and wear a mask during the event. All safety COVID19 protocols will be followed.
By registering, you are acknowledging that an inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists by attending this event on the premises of the Embassy of Spain. You and any family members and guests voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19.
How to get there:
The best way to arrive is by public transportation. The closest Metro station is Columbia Heights (Green and Yellow line). Limited metered and two-hour zoned parking is available in the surrounding neighborhoods. Public parking garage is available at DC USA Shopping Mall (Columbia Heights Metro Station).
Subscribe to our Newsletter to never miss an event by SPAIN arts & culture in Washington DC.
Event Venue & Nearby Stays
Former Residence of the Ambassadors of Spain, 2801 16th St NW, Washington, United States