About this Event
Spend Saturday, October 14 at our annual community day, On the Square! Located on Mount Vernon Square—where multiple neighborhoods intersect—and neighbors and friends connect to reflect on the past, celebrate today’s vibrant communities, and dream of a more just future.
Begin with an exploration of the inside the Carnegie Library. Listen in on pop-up talks in THE BIG PICTURE, examine resources in the Kiplinger Research Library, get crafty in Memorial Hall, and enjoy a special surprise feature in the forum on the first floor. Stop outside to play with EventsDC on the lawn, then venture into the nearby neighborhoods with our reward card in-hand. Visit participating cultural sites and local businesses for more activities, freebies, and discounts!
Start your day at the DC History Center located at 801 K Street NW, on the second floor of the Carnegie Library. Once checked in, you will be provided with a reward card for the day. A full schedule will be available online.
- Tour the Carnegie Library building
- Peruse selected collections in the Kiplinger Research Library
- Shop our DC History Center store for fun merch
- Get inspired by some of our favorite DC history projects
- See “Archives in Action” during pop-up talks in The Big Picture
- Walk Mount Vernon Square, Chinatown, and Shaw
- Pick up your next read after hearing from local authors
- Create a collage inspired by our historic collections
- Make your own DC history button
- Meet our staff and volunteers who make this work possible!
Participate in activities to earn rewards at participating local businesses offering special discounts:
- A free 0.2L beer at
- A free iced or drip coffee at
- more to come
Walk-ins are welcome, but registration helps us estimate attendance. Your RSVP is appreciated!
This community event is free, but your donation makes programs like this one possible. By donating as little as $5, you’ll help us reach our goal of $500 in donations. If you can, consider donating $10 or $15 to support our work. To be more deeply involved in our work, join our membership program!
If you require accommodations for a disability, please email the DC History Center at [email protected] with your request at least two weeks before the program. We are committed to making events accessible for all participants. There will be photo and video taken at this event.
Event Venue & Nearby Stays
DC History Center, 801 K Street Northwest, Washington, United States