About this Event
The Education and Training Act 2020 (the Act) is calling school boards to action about giving effect to Te Tiriti o Waitangi. This cause is so important that the Act makes it one of the four primary objectives of a school board.
For a school board, giving effect means much more than making instruction available in te reo Māori or achieving equitable outcomes for Māori students.
Plans, policies, and local curriculum should also reflect local tikanga Māori, mātauranga Māori, and te ao Māori.
This workshop is the second of a two-part series focused on Giving Effect to Te Tiriti o Waitangi and the Implications for School Governance.
By the end of this session, you should be able to:
- Explain the responsibilities of pōari (boards) in terms of giving effect to Te Tiriti o Waitangi
- Describe the progress you have already made towards the objectives outlined in The Education and Training Act 2020
- Discuss the articles of Te Tiriti o Waitangi and the implications for plans, policies and local curriculum
- Consider how you might go about engaging with Māori learners, their parents, whānau, hapū, iwi and communities to understand their aspirations
- Ask key governance questions relating to planning, monitoring and review
- Identify the factors your pōari (board) may need to consider when planning next steps/action
Event Venue & Nearby Stays
St Columba Centre, 40 Vermont Street, Auckland, New Zealand