About this Event
The Education and Training Act 2020 (the Act) is calling school boards to action about giving effect to Te Tiriti o Waitangi. This cause is so important that the Act makes it one of the four primary objectives of a school board.For a school board, giving effect means much more than making instruction available in te reo Māori or achieving equitable outcomes for Māori students. Plans, policies, and local curriculum should also reflect local tikanga Māori, mātauranga Māori, and te ao Māori.
This workshop is the first of a two-part series focused on Giving Effect to Te Tiriti o Waitangi and the Implications for School Governance. In this session we will discuss the requirements of the Education and Training Act (2020), provide a background to Te Tiriti o Waitangi and an introduction to tikanga Māori.
By the end of this session, you should be able to:
• Explain the main focus of the articles of Te Tiriti o Waitangi
• Describe what tikanga Māori values mean to you – what do they look and feel like
• Describe the extent to which you live tikanga Māori values in your school
• Explain the board’s responsibilities under the Education and training Act 2020
• Consider opportunities for further embedding tikanga values within your school.
Event Venue & Nearby Stays
Aristotles North Shore Motel - Conference Room, 20C Link Drive, Auckland, New Zealand