About this Event
Deptford-based Matchstick Theatre Company (MTC) supports new writing and champions original theatre. This January, MTC launched Hits and Pieces – a night of original short plays all inspired by a popular song.
Hits and Pieces: Deptford Literature Festival will feature four short pieces by local writers all inspired by a song that references one of Deptford Literature Festival’s themes for 2023: climate, nature or food. The song will be chosen via an online poll.
After the plays there's a chance for attendees to shake a leg to a few tunes also inspired by the Festival themes.
About Matchstick Theatre Company:
Founded in 2020, Matchstick Theatre Company (MTC) supports original theatre and new writers, especially those local to it’s Deptford home Matchstick Piehouse, which is based in railway arches off Edward Street.
Following the success of MTC’s 2022 Deptford Literature Festival project, which culminated in an afternoon of short plays by local writers, the company has recently launched a new bimonthly event Hits and Pieces. Matchstick Piehouse is known for programming exciting and innovative music nights from Steamdown to folk to big band to reggae sound system so. It’s also known for its daring theatre so MTC thought why not combine the two!
Other Useful Information about this event and Deptford Literature Festival
What access provision is available at this event?
• This event is BSL interpreted.
• This event is wheelchair accessible, with accessible toilets available.
• If you require additional access provision in order to attend or take part in the Festival, for example larger print handouts at workshops, or a Scribe, please get in touch before the Festival day at: [email protected]
• If you require assistance on the Festival day itself, please come to the Festival Hub in the foyer of Deptford Lounge where we will be happy to help you.
• We encourage anyone displaying Covid-like symptoms not to attend the Festival and we encourage attendees aged 16+ (unless exempt) to consider wearing a mask as some of our artists and audiences may be vulnerable.
• Masks will be available at the Festival Hub in Deptford Lounge. There will be hand sanitiser and air filters for events and workshops in the following spaces at Deptford Lounge: Main Hall, Room 1, Room 2, Room 3 and the Studio.
• You can see the full Deptford Literature Festival COVID-19 protocols here: spreadtheword.org.uk/deptford-literature-festival-covid-19-protocols/
• This event is free to you, and we ask that as far as possible by booking a place you commit to attending, as places are limited. If you can no longer attend, please cancel your ticket so someone else can come along. There are instructions on how to do that here.
• If you would like to support the future of Deptford Literature Festival, run by charity Spread the Word, you can donate here: totalgiving.co.uk/appeal/deptfordlitfest
About Deptford Literature Festival
Deptford Literature Festival takes place on Saturday 18 March 2023 and celebrates the diversity and creativity of Deptford and Lewisham through words, stories and performance. It is run by Spread the Word, and funded by Arts Council England. You can find out more about Deptford Literature Festival at: www.deptfordlitfest.com
Image at the top of the page description: The event image has a light teal green background with black text reading ‘DEPTFORD LITERATURE FESTIVAL’ in a bold font at the top left corner. There are pink and yellow graphics, including a cloud and slides of fruit, decorating the photo. In the centre is a logo reading ‘MATCHSTICK THEATRE COMPANY’ with white letters, the first letter of each word in red. The background is black. At the bottom right of the photo is a text description of the event which reads Matchstick Theatre Company present Hits and Pieces Saturday 18 March 2023 3.30 - 5.00pm @ Matchstick Piehouse
Event Venue & Nearby Stays
Matchstick Piehouse, 213-214 Edward Street, London, United Kingdom