ABOUT THE EVENT
This workshop encourages authenticity, emotional freedom, and personal expression through embodied voice work. It aims to restore the natural capacity to reveal the nuance and depth of human expression without strain. The process develops physical awareness, flexible breathing and how these support the voice efficiently. We will then focus on how resonance can be developed as a felt experience and used to reveal emotion. Finally, this will be applied to language and used as a creative agent between speaker and listener.
This workshop is open for everyone and fits all levels of speakers and performers. It draws heavily on Ben's qualification as a designated teacher of Linklater voice work and Feldenkrais Practitioner training. It aims to focus on the removal of the psycho-physical emotional blocks that inhibit the human instrument. Once the voice is free it can respond more accurately to the emotional and imaginative demands of the performer/speaker.
The workshop will be conducted in English but you are welcome to bring material to work on that is in the language you feel most comfortable with.
This practice has the potential to be transformational work. It will gently challenge habitual behaviours and suit those who want to develop more connection with others when communicating. It is a respectful and holistic training with authentic dialogue at its core. It does not champion one type of ‘voice’ over another and welcomes all ‘bodies’ regardless of age, gender, cultural background or ability.
TO WHOM THIS WORKSHOP IS FOR
For actors (advanced and beginners), performers, directors, artists, coaches and anyone wanting to understand how movement voice and language can be used for authentic performance (on stage or off).
WHAT DO YOU GET
Through this workshop you will discover:
• deepen your capacity to really understand youand your voice.
• develop a sensory and personal relationship with your body, breath and voice
• reveal more nuance and depth of feeling through the resonance and range of your voice
• find more clarity when speaking
• strengthen your instincts and capacity to respond to emotional impulse
• Improve your sensitivity to others while listening
• find healthy and organic ways to let go of misplaced effort and tension
• find physical ease and release whilst speaking in high stakes situations
• as a performer/director develop a language around how to help actors connect with text
• communicate with more confidence
• Price: 285€ incl. VAT 24%
• Workshop will happen live at the studio: Pursimiehenkatu 26H, 00150 Helsinki
• Class times: November 3 - November 4, 2021 / 16:00 - 21:00
• Places are limited and will be filled on a 'first-come-first-serve' basis.
• The booking for all events and workshops is binding. You can cancel 30 days prior to the event and receive a 50% return of your payment or you can pass on your spot to another person without an extra fee.
• Teaching language is English (Please keep in mind that you do not need to have perfect English skills, and you do not need to worry about accent and pronunciation).
• All rights to changes reserved.
• The event is also found on our website here https://www.actorsacademy.fi/workshops
WHAT TO BRING & HOW TO PREPARE
You will need to learn a monologue in any language that you choose. No more than 1 or 2 minutes. This is not for performance but to play with as the course progresses. Wear soft clothing that is easy to move in.
ABOUT BEN JOINER
Ben is a Voice and Movement Coach who works with individuals, groups and institutions globally. He originally trained as a dancer in the early nineties, touring internationally with various modern dance companies before retraining as an actor in 2000. He then worked extensively in theatre, film and television before retraining as a voice coach. He now coaches on the MA in Voice Studies at The Royal Central School of Speech of Drama, London and is one of approximately 200 vocal coaches worldwide trained by Kristin Linklater to teach her method Freeing the Natural Voice. Since 2010, he has been coaching at The Oxford School of Drama, Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts, Rose Bruford College of Theatre and Performance, Arts Educational Schools and the Actor’s Temple. He has coached for many theatre companies, independent groups and has a regular list individual clients both artistic and corporate. He is currently completing a 4 year accreditation to be a Feldenkrais Method practitioner.
"It was a great pleasure working with Ben. He had such a gentle but professional approach to voice training through movement. Through Ben’s training, I found - and started to release - huge tensions that have been blocking my voice as an actress. I will definitely continue working with Ben in the future as well."
- Johanna Ruonala, Actor
"I really enjoyed our weekend workshop with Ben Joiner. As a classically trained singer, I especially enjoyed the exploration of more primal sounds and how releasing a sound - totally uncontrolled - feels like. It was quite liberating and helped me to connect more with my body and my emotions. We also looked at how an open and receiving body looks and feels like in acting. The exercises for releasing the body through movement and awareness without judgment were just what I needed as well. Ben was an inspiring teacher with a very conscious and compassionate way of teaching, and I would definitely recommend his workshop for anyone wanting to explore their voices, or looking for ways to release tension in the body or for just more freedom of expression."
- Emma, Actor & Singer
"Ben is a brilliant teacher! He’s a genius at what he does and was able to create a supporting and safe learning environment by being a teacher as well as ”a peer” at the same time. He listened to the students’ needs and concerns and allowed for any feelings to arise. I would recommend this workshop for everyone and anyone interested in learning about their voice and how to use it well.
- Anna Tavaila, Actor
Event Venue & Nearby Stays
Actors Academy Finland, Pursimiehenkatu 26H, Helsinki, Finland