About this Event
NOTE: There will be no tour on 6/9/22
This walking tour is hosted by Hostelling International USA (HI USA) and will begin at HI San Francisco Downtown Hostel.
Description of tour:
This walking tour covers the history of San Francisco from its founding in 1775 to the present. You will learn about the major impacts on the city which include the Gold Rush, the earthquakes of 1906 and 1989 and the changing port. You will also walk away learning about the contribution of immigrants to the city.
The tour encompasses Union Square, Financial District, North Beach and the San Francisco Waterfront. There will be no public transportation required as this is a walking tour. No indoor stops scheduled but I'm flexible if there is interest. Route includes 2 points with moderate incline.
Where to meet: In the 1st floor hostel lobby at HI San Francisco Downtown Hostel
There will be an opportunity to use the restroom along the tour. Please bring: Comfortable walking shoes, water bottle, mask. Sunscreen and a hat are also recommended. Please note San Francisco currently requires vaccination card if you want to eat indoors.
Do I need to bring Money? Yes, if you want to buy lunch at the end of the tour.
What is length of tour? Approximately 2. 5 hours
Additional questions about the tour please email [email protected] with your questions.
Bio of tour leader:
Gary Dickinson is a 4th generation native of the Bay Area. He has lived in San Francisco since 1984. His career started in retail followed by consumer finance and ending in Social Service. He enjoys cooking, live theater and travel. Gary has been a volunteer with HI USA since 2018.
Waiver and Release of Liability Agreement:
Please note that by submitting registration for this engagement activity you agree to HI USA’s waiver for engagement activities and HI USA’s Covid responsibilities and release of liability as listed below: Waiver for HI USA Engagement Activities:
I understand that my participation in HI USA Engagement Activities is voluntary and I assume all risks of loss, damage or injury that may be sustained while participating in this activity, including the risk of loss, damage or injury to myself. I agree to waive and relinquish all claims I may have as a result of participating in HI USA Engagement Activities against Hostelling International; American Youth Hostels, Inc., d/b/a Hostelling International USA, (HI USA); any and all HI USA Hostels and affiliated Hostels, their respective parent, subsidiary and officers, directors, employees, attorneys, agents, contractors, subcontractors, representatives, successors, assigns, guests and volunteers. I further agree to release and discharge HI USA from any claims for injuries, including illness and/or severe bodily injury/injuries and even death, damages or loss that I may have or which may accrue to me arising out of, connected with, or in any way associated with HI USA Engagement Activities, including negligence. I agree to indemnify and hold the above released parties harmless from any and all claims, demands and/or causes of action seeking damages as a result of my participation, including reasonable attorney fees incurred in the defense of any claim, demand or cause of action. I understand that this agreement shall be governed by the applicable law of the State of Maryland. I waive my right to a trial by jury and agree to submit any dispute(s)/claim(s) that may arise out of my participation in any program or activity to binding arbitration in accord with the rules and regulations of the American Arbitration Association. In the event that any provision of this Agreement is determined by a court to be invalid, the remainder of this Agreement shall not be affected thereby and shall remain in force.
Acknowledgement of Participant COVID-19 Responsibilities & Release of Liability:
HI USA welcomes you! We have expanded operating standards for our hostels to help protect the safety and health of guests, participants, volunteers and staff during the COVID-19 pandemic. Our operating standards and requested guest practices do change over time based on updated guidance from the CDC, OSHA and State and local Health Departments; please visit www.hiusa.org/coronovirus-preparedness prior to your participation to see the updated practices.
Currently we require staff and volunteers to understand COVID-19 symptoms and not to work or volunteer when experiencing these symptoms. Staff are required to wear masks, practice physical (6-feet) distancing, and follow CDC hand and respiratory hygiene guidelines. Volunteers are required to wear masks inside property but may take off when outside if vaccinated. We have also modified our housekeeping and cleaning procedures.
Program participants have a similar responsibility to other participants, staff and volunteers to follow COVID Responsive Practices:
- Unvaccinated wear a mask at all times (exceptions for eating or drinking)
- Unvaccinated adhere to physical (6 feet) distancing,
- All participants understand the symptoms of COVID-19 as highlighted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/symptoms-testing/symptoms.html, and can self-attest that they have not experienced symptoms in the last 14 days.
Participant Acknowledgement of Responsibility and Release of Liability:
- I acknowledge that HI USA has created operating standards and requirements targeted at protecting the safety and health of myself and other participants, volunteers, and staff during the engagement activity.
- I acknowledge that it is still possible to contract COVID-19 while participating in an engagement activity despite adhering to the operating standards and requirements.
- I acknowledge and understand the heightened risks for COVID exposure that shared activities present due to the limited ability for Physical (Social) Distancing.
- I agree to forever release and waive my right to bring suit against Hostelling International USA (legal name American Youth Hostels, Inc.) and Hostelling International, their officers, directors, affiliates, subsidiaries, members, employees and/or agents (the released parties) in connection with exposure, infection, and/or spread of COVID-19 related to my stay at the hostel. I understand that this waiver means I give up my reservation party’s rights to bring any claims including for personal injuries, death, disease or property losses, or any other loss, including but not limited to claims of negligence, and give up any claim we may have to seek damages, whether known or unknown, foreseen or unforeseen.
- I certify that I am 18 years of age or older.
Event Venue & Nearby Stays
HI San Francisco Downtown Hostel, 312 Mason Street, San Francisco, United States