About this Event
After a brief introduction to the book Joyful, Joyful, a gorgeous collection of stories and poems celebrating joy, showcasing 40 talented Black writers and artists from across the world, join illustrator, curator and collaborator Dapo Adeola and author Funmbi Omotayo, for a story-making workshop. In this interactive session, children can celebrate the joy in their lives and identities and work together to create their very own story with support from Dapo and Funmbi.
A gorgeous collection of stories and poems celebrating joy, showcasing 40 talented Black writers and artists from across the world. Curated by British Book Awards Illustrator of the Year Dapo Adeola, with a foreword by the acclaimed Patrice Lawrence. Joyful, Joyful is a book to sing about.
The session is for 7 - 14 year olds.
In collaboration with Round Table Books.
About Dapo Adeola
Dapo Adeola is an illustrator, author and character designer who was awarded Illustrator of the Year at The British Book Awards in 2022. He has written numerous award-winning books. Born in Britain and of Nigerian heritage, Dapo’s work tends to revolve around creating characters and imagery that challenge gender norms and equality politics in a fun and upbeat manner.
About Funmbi Omotayo
Funmbi Omotayo started doing stand-up comedy in 2004, and since then has performed in several different countries, and made a few hilarious TV appearances. He is a debut children’s author and a massive 2Pac fan whose dream is to appear on the TV show “Mastermind” with 2Pac as his specialist subject.Other useful information about this event and Deptford Literature Festival
What access provision is available at this event?
- All Deptford Literature Festival events including this one are BSL interpreted.
- This event is wheelchair accessible, with accessible toilets.
- A quiet space is available during the day at Deptford Lounge, in the Music Room, on the first floor.
- Deptford Lounge has Changing Place facilities, an induction loop and assistance dogs are welcome. For more information: deptfordlounge.org.uk/access
- If you require additional access provision in order to attend or take part in the Festival, for example larger print handouts at workshops, or a Scribe, please get in touch before the Festival day at: [email protected]
- If you require assistance on the Festival day itself, please come to the Festival Hub in the foyer of Deptford Lounge where we will be happy to help you.
- For more information, please read the Deptford Literature Festival Access Policy: spreadtheword.org.uk/deptford-literature-festival-2023-access-policy/
- We encourage anyone displaying Covid-like symptoms not to attend the Festival and we encourage attendees aged 16+ (unless exempt) to consider wearing a mask as some of our artists and audiences may be vulnerable.
- Masks will be available at the Festival Hub in Deptford Lounge. There will be hand sanitiser and air filters for events and workshops in the following spaces at Deptford Lounge: Main Hall, Room 1, Room 2, Room 3 and the Studio.
- You can see the full Deptford Literature Festival COVID-19 protocols here: spreadtheword.org.uk/deptford-literature-festival-covid-19-protocols/
- This event is free to you, and we ask that as far as possible by booking a place you commit to attending, as places are limited. If you can no longer attend, please cancel your ticket so someone else can come along. There are instructions on how to do that here.
- If you would like to support the future of Deptford Literature Festival, run by charity Spread the Word, you can donate here: totalgiving.co.uk/appeal/deptfordlitfest
About Deptford Literature Festival
Deptford Literature Festival takes place on Saturday 18 March 2023 and celebrates the diversity and creativity of Deptford and Lewisham through words, stories and performance. It is run by Spread the Word, and funded by Arts Council England. You can find out more about Deptford Literature Festival at: www.deptfordlitfest.com
Image at the top of the page description: The event image has a deep yellow background with the black text reading ‘DEPTFORD LITERATURE FESTIVAL’ in a bold font at the top left corner. There are teal green and pink graphics decorating the photo, including a plant vine and a food bowl. In the centre there are two circular images of the event speakers with a square image of a book cover between them. The left circular image is of author and illustrator, Dapo Adeola. He turns his head and has a slight smile. He has dark hair and a beard, and wears a black graphic t-shirt. Visible behind him is a white wall decorated with posters of cartoon people and animals. The right circular photo is of comedian Funmbi Omotayo, who smiles widely. He has dark, chin-length braids and a beard streaked with grey. He wears a deep green jumper. Behind him the background is grey. In the middle of the event image is the book cover for ‘JOYFUL, JOYFUL’. It shows a cartoon black child grinning, wearing big sunglasses. In each lens is the word ‘JOYFUL’ in a wavy font. Behind the child the background is red. At the bottom right of the main event image is a text description of the event which reads: Joyful, Joyful with Dapo Adeola and Funmbi Omotayo 1.00pm Saturday 18 March 2023 Deptford Lounge Children's Library
Event Venue & Nearby Stays
Deptford Lounge - Children's Library, 9 Giffin Street, London, United Kingdom