About this Event
**This event is only available to licensed mental health professionals**
Clinicians frequently struggle with clients who are “stuck” – miserable, yet unwilling or unable to move forward, and their symptoms are often high risk and anxiety provoking for therapists. Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) offers highly effective strategies for breaking logjams in therapy and moving clients forward. This training will provide non-DBT therapists with some of the most effective interventions used in DBT. No prior knowledge of DBT necessary.
Learn specific tools to quickly engage clients in therapy, determine how best to target symptoms, how to effectively conceptualize problem behaviors and create movement and flow in the therapy session.
1. Create movement and flow in therapy using both acceptance- and change-based strategies
2. Use specific evidence-based tools to quickly engage clients in therapy and determine how best to target symptoms
3. Harness the power of dialectics
4. Experience the benefits of mindfulness-based interventions
5. Use behavior chain analysis to understand the function of behavior and apply it to therapy to improve outcomes
Britt H. Rathbone is an expert in adolescent mental health and is committed to proving evidence-based treatments including CBT, DBT, Unified Protocol, ACT, Behavioral Activation, Prolonged Exposure, and others. He is the founder and director of Rathbone & Associates, a psychotherapy practice focusing on mental health issues and conditions of adolescence.
Mr. Rathbone earned his social work degree from Columbia University in New York and has been a highly rated instructor in the MSW program at the National Catholic University School of Social Service. He has decades of experience in adolescent mental health and psychotherapy and he holds the most advanced certifications available through his professional societies. His expertise has been recognized by being consistently named a top therapist for teenagers by Washingtonian magazine. He was the first clinician in Maryland, DC and Virginia to have passed the rigorous standards established by the DBT-Linehan Board of Certification and to be recognized as a DBT Certified DBT Clinician.
Mr. Rathbone is the coauthor of the following:
• Dialectical Behavior Therapy for At-Risk Adolescents
• What Works with Teens: An Evidence-Based, Practical Guide for Working Effectively with Adolescents
• Parenting a Teen Who Has Intense Emotions,
• Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Group for Adolescents, (chapter) in Handbook of Child and Adolescent Group Therapy: A Practitioner's Reference
*Continuing Education Information
Rathbone & Associates is authorized by the Board of Social Work Examiners in Maryland to sponsor social work continuing education programs and maintains full responsibility for the programs and their content. These trainings qualify for Category I continuing education units. Please contact your state board for verification of reciprocity with other states and professions. In order to receive a certificate, registrants must attend the entire session.
Rathbone & Associates is a sponsor of continuing education credits for psychologists in Maryland under the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. Rathbone & Associates maintains responsibility for the program content.