About this Event
What to teach? When to screen? How to cater for the range in ability?
This seminar explains the implementation of PLD’s structured synthetic phonics programs (SSP) within the Early Years. It outlines PLD’s targeted teaching and the associated tracking and reporting of skill development. The implementation of this preventative program aims to set up young learners for success in their literacy acquisition.
The presentation is recommended for all educators working within Pre-Kindy and Kindergarten (WA). This full day seminar for the Early Years outlines how ‘early childhood’ approaches can be balanced with the addition of PLD’s targeted explicit instruction.
The presentation outlines:
- The evidence-base for Structured Synthetic Phonics.
- Early-Years based pre-literacy skill teaching; phonemic awareness, alphabet knowledge and oral language (vocabulary and the ability to speak in grammatically correct sentences).
- How can these skills be facilitated? Answer: 3-5 minute sessions presented several times in a day.
- Screening: After 6 weeks of instruction, skill acquisition is reviewed by presenting a sub-test on the PLD Early Years Pre-Literacy Screen.
- The tracking of progress will focus staff on the specific needs of all students within the class and also identify the children who require support.
- Explanation of Early Years based motor, pre-writing pattern and letter formation teaching.
- Short speech pathology-derived oral language targeted teaching which facilitates the ability to speak in grammatically correct sentences.
- Researchers consistently advocate for early intervention and preventative programs in the Early Years.
The Early Years are one of the most significant periods for the development of oral language, motor and pre-literacy skills. This seminar outlines PLD’s implementation within these vitally important years of development.
About the Presenter:
Emily Paget (Grad. Dip. ECE & Ba. Comm)
Educator and School Support Coordinator at PLD.
Emily is a committed teacher who has over 14 years of experience in the classroom. All 14 of these years, she has utilised the PLD programs to guarantee academic growth and success for her students. Emily is passionate about ensuring all students have access to high-quality teaching and learning so that no child is left behind.
For more information and to view the seminar flyer, click here.
I woke this morning feeling so motivated and cannot wait to get back to my class next week to begin putting into place some of your strategies. Never before have I felt that there has been such clear direction as to what we should be teaching in the early years. I can see the big picture especially with the expectations of National Curriculum upon us.
Lee-Erin - Teacher
I attended two PD days held a couple of weeks ago on implementing a literacy programme in early years learning. I found it inspiring and came back to my class with a renewed vision for how I should be approaching my programme.
Debbie - Kindergarten Teacher in a Catholic School
I would firstly like to say how fantastic I found your course last week – we have implemented your program and have been doing the assessments this year, but your course opened my eyes a great deal to exactly how to teach the skills to the best potential and also how to prioritise skills, where I think this year I have tried to cover too much scope and maybe extended them before covering the basics in enough detail – bring on next year for a new approach to the whole school year approach to your theories!
Caroline - Kindergarten Teacher
I have been a huge fan of the PLD approach since attending the PD's years ago, just love it, find the children really enjoy it, it's simple, it's clear and it works! It is though, an interesting time in ECE, but it's great to be getting the balance right and doing exciting things!
Kristy – Early Childhood teacher
Frequently Asked Questions
Where is nearby parking?
Can I access public transport to get to PLD?
I don’t have access to a credit card to buy a seminar ticket - can you send me an invoice?
How do I transfer to a different seminar or date?
Have another question? Please click to view the full range of FAQs.
Event Venue & Nearby Stays
PLD Literacy and Learning (Perth), 116 Parry Street, Perth, Australia
AUD 169.00 to AUD 199.00