AdvertisementJoin us for this medium-hard hike 'summit return' of Mt Pirongia, following the Te Araroa route.
Thanks to Back Country Cuisine
Got To Get fit this summer? Thanks to Back Country Cuisine freeze dri meals, we are exploring different sections of Te Araroa Trail!
Each ticket purchase will get you Back Country Cuisine samples to try on the trail, and discount codes. Join us?
To join this hike, you will have already done a number of hikes with Got To Get Out (or on your own) and be pretty fit as this is a hard long day.
You need adequate gear and food for 'any conditions' up the maunga.
Take a look at our story about this hike when we did it last year: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/how-to-hike-te-araroas-pirongia-traverse-waikato/OTZMY43URJGRPHQQBVY6EGZYBI/
Got To Get Out group founder Robert Bruce (NZOIA bush trained guide, Peak Outdoors first aid trained, New Zealander of the Year semi-finalist) is guiding this hike. We are providing transport to and from Auckland or can collect on the way.
645am - meet outside The Cloud, Habour
7am - Departure to track start by bus (yes we can collect you from Bombay BP around 8am, please message to discuss a Southern Motorway pickup)
approx 9 - Arrival at track carpark (Kaniwhaniwha entry as per Te Araroa)
3pm - back at starting point
Read more about the track here: https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/waikato/places/pirongia-forest-park/things-to-do/pirongia-summit-via-mahaukura-and-tirohanga-tracks/
- You should have done several hikes before
- Good quality boots or grippy footwear essential, these will be checked pre-departure. Ankle support / warmth / grip needed,
- Good quality backpack and gear (light weight gear recommended
- Quality jacket as the weather can turn in a heartbeat up there!
- Essential is your own emergency blanket, whistle, food, torch (cheap from most stores).
- PLB a good idea though Rob has his
- Your own food (+ something small to share).
- You should be self-sustaining, have your own gear and know how to use it,
- It's a good idea to have your own map, checked weather.
- Sorry not dog friendly
- Adults only: over 18
Rob will have;
- emergency comms
- first aid and training
- maps / nav
- vehicle to and from (bus) and all driving sorted for you
- concession to be legally hiking on this land
- emergency training
- Great chat, stories of Nepal, and maybe some inspiration!
Your fee covers;
- transport to and from track,
- trip hosting / guiding / driving
- Camp site paid for
- concession to DOC or regional parks (owners of land)
- Support of Got To Get Out.
So then, who's #gottogetout?
Event Venue & Nearby Stays
The Cloud, Queens Wharf,Auckland, New Zealand