About this Event
Uncover the Lore of the Shore
On this lantern-lit walk through Cape May’s historic district, you'll hear tales of pale apparitions, bumps in the night, and inexplicable activity along with the history of each building featured and theories about which of its former inhabitants may be the cause of the current hauntings. Memorial Day Weekend Update!
Thanks to all who came on a Ghost Caper this weekend! We'll be back next weekend for more tours, but since both our Saturday tours sold out this weekend, we recommend booking early if you want to secure your walk on the spooky side of Cape May!
More About Ghost Capers
Join us for one of Cape May's most in-demand experiences after our unprecedented sold-out summer 2022 season!
Based on extensive research through hundreds of historical documents, our family-friendly haunted walking tours are equal parts history and mystery.
Ghost Capers tours focus on haunted history as we take a walk on the spooky side of Cape May's past with stories about eight of its supernatural hotspots including the Southern Mansion, Hotel Macomber, and Chalfonte Hotel.
The stories on our tour uncover Cape May's hidden legacy of pirate lore, Civil War captives, Victorian society scandals, Prohibition hijinks and more, while showing how the spirits of those who called Cape May home then still have a presence now, in more ways than one.
IMPORTANT: Please review all of our information before booking, as like most live entertainment event providers we have a limited refund policy!
We also have a and a handy with our key information, including how to join us, what to expect, how to get help, and our full policies.
Need help or more information? Just about every question we receive by email is covered on our Eventbrite page, so be sure to scroll all the way down before getting in touch!
Have a last-minute issue with your booked tour? Refund requests, ticket transfers, weather issues, and late arrivals are all covered in the policies on this page.
Wondering about the weather? We keep ticket holders updated about potential weather impacts via email on the day of the tour.
Scroll Down to Read:
- Dates, Times, and Route
- How to Book Tickets
- How to Check In For Your Tour
- Our Policies
- How to Get in Touch
- Liability Waiver
- FAQ About Accessibility, Age Guidelines, Restrooms, and More
Dates, Times, and Route
Join us for a Ghost Caper on select evenings from May through October!
Our open-air walking tours last 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the group pace and number of questions asked.
Each tour includes around 20-25 minutes of total walking time, in stretches of 1-5 minutes at a time.
During the tour, we stop outside eight locations to share stories of how their history might connect with their alleged hauntings.
How to Book Tickets
Tickets must be purchased online in advance via Eventbrite.
Our tours have a capacity limit due to our licensing agreement with the City of Cape May, so once a tour sells out, we can't make more tickets available!
We make 100% of our tickets available on Eventbrite and don't hold any back, so we can't offer additional tickets to those who reach out directly.
When a limited number of tickets are left for a tour, another party may complete the checkout process and secure the last remaining tickets while you are in the middle of the checkout process. If this happens, you will not be able to complete your checkout. Please try another date with more availability.
For best availability, book at least one week in advance, and purchase enough tickets for your entire party at the time of your original booking.
Since we track and manage tour capacity via ticket sales, all guests require tickets, including infants in strollers.
We currently don't offer group discounts or other kinds of discounted rates.
How to Check In For Your Tour
Tours meet at 700 Washington Street, directly in front of the Cape May Post Office.
There is no signage for our tour at the meeting place, but our guide will be waiting at the meeting spot from 30 minutes ahead of the scheduled tour start time, wearing a Ghost Capers shirt and carrying a lantern.
We do not have designated parking, so plan to arrive early enough to find street parking if needed.
Please plan to arrive at least 10 minutes ahead of your scheduled tour start time to give our guide time to check everyone in.
To check in, give our guide the name under which your party is booked, show your tickets on your mobile device, or show printed tickets.
Our route takes us through Cape May's residential streets and stops in front of private homes, vacation rentals, and hotels. We ask that tour participants remain on public sidewalks at all times and practice courtesy towards Cape May's residents and guests. This includes but is not limited to refraining from shouting, littering, trespassing, or otherwise causing a disturbance.
Policy Acceptance and Liability Waiver
By purchasing tickets, you agree to abide by the following policies and our Liability Waiver, available at the bottom of this page:
To keep our tours running on time and out of consideration for our guests' schedules, we cannot wait for late arrivals.
Because the time spent at each stop on the tour is variable, we also cannot have guests join us at a later point on the tour.
Ticket holders are responsible for making sure that they find the meeting spot and parking if necessary before the tour start time.
Our tour guide will be waiting at the tour meeting spot for 30 minutes ahead of the scheduled tour start time to check guests in, and will begin the tour promptly at the tour start time.
We cannot hold the tour in place for guests who leave after checking in for any reason, including to park or find a restroom.
Ticket holders who miss their tour due to arriving late are not eligible to request a refund. Please see "Transfers, Refunds, and Credits" for our full refund policy.
Transfers, Refunds, and Credits
Like most live entertainment event providers, we have a limited refund policy.
Ticket holders may submit a refund request through Eventbrite up to 24 hours prior to the scheduled tour start time to receive an automatic refund for any reason, minus Eventbrite's fees, which are nonrefundable.
Ticket holders may also transfer tickets to another tour through Eventbrite up to 24 hours before the start of the original ticket's tour date. Ticket transfers are subject to availability and our tour capacity restrictions. Please reach out to Eventbrite if you need help with transferring tickets.
If a last-minute emergency prevents you from attending your tour, contact us at [email protected] and we will issue a full credit for the original purchase. The credit must be requested by 11:59 PM Eastern on the date of the original tickets. Credits can be redeemed for any future tour on our schedule for up to 1 year.
We aim to be as accurate as possible when providing details of what to expect on our tours and cannot extend refunds to guests whose expectations or desired experience of the tour differ from the information we provide ahead of booking. This includes:
- That our tours last around 45 minutes to 1 hour
- That our tours involve around 20-25 minutes of walking time
- That our tours take place entirely outdoors
- That our tours include eight stories
- That our guide may read stories verbatim to provide a consistent experience and accurate details
- That our stories may include references to topics some may find sensitive
- That our tours focus on Cape May's history and convey stories of unverified but potentially paranormal experiences related to that history
- That our tours are not intended to be a horror experience or to provide the feeling of being scared
Our tours will proceed in light rain, but if a health condition or disability prevents you or a member of your party from completing the tour in light rain, contact us at [email protected] to request a refund.
In the event of a severe weather warning from the National Weather Service, tours will be cancelled, ticket holders will be notified by email, and tickets will be refunded.
For all other weather-related concerns, we will make a decision about proceeding with the tour based on information from the National Weather Service, and will inform ticket holders of when to expect a final decision via email on the day of the tour.
If it is necessary to cancel due to weather, all ticket holders be notified by email and will receive automatic refunds, no further action required.
If a sudden change in weather conditions during a tour makes continuing the tour unsafe, our guide will escort guests back to the start of the tour or, if necessary, to the nearest sheltered location, and tickets will automatically be refunded.
In the rare, unforeseen event that the tour must be cancelled for any reason other than weather, ticket holders will be notified via email as soon as possible and will receive automatic refunds, no further action required.
In accordance with current New Jersey guidelines, we do not require face masks, proof of vaccination, or COVID-19 testing to join our tours.
We can't accommodate pets during our tours, though service animals needed for accessibility are permitted.
We do appreciate advance notice if you are bringing a service animal so we can mark your party as exempt from our pet policy, though this is not required.
If you are unsure as to whether your animal qualifies as a service animal, please see the Americans with Disabilities Act publication "ADA Requirements: Service Animals."
For the health and comfort of all tour participants, we ask that tour participants refrain from smoking, vaping, or otherwise using tobacco and/or marijuana during the tour and while waiting for the tour to start at the tour meeting place.
Get in Touch
If you’re having technical difficulties with Eventbrite’s website or app, including loading the tour schedule, ordering tickets, viewing purchased tickets, transferring tickets, or requesting a refund within our policy through Eventbrite, contact directly.
If you have an issue that hasn’t been addressed in the information on this page, send us a message through Eventbrite or reach out to [email protected] for help.
If you have a last-minute issue that affects your ability to attend your tour, please remember that refund requests, ticket transfers, late arrivals, weather issues, and emergencies are subject to our policies above.
By purchasing tickets and participating in a History Capers LLC walking tour, you acknowledge that you understand and agree to the following. That:
1. While on a History Capers LLC walking tour, tour participants will not block the sidewalk, trespass on private property, or in any way cause harm or be disruptive to the residents of and visitors to the City of Cape May and their property.
2. Tour participants will not bring pets on the tour, except in the case of medically-required service animals.
3. Tour participants will follow any laws, ordinances, and executive orders enforced by the State of New Jersey and the City of Cape May.
4. Tour participants will refrain from smoking, vaping, or otherwise using tobacco and/or marijuana during the tour and while waiting for the tour to begin at the tour meeting place.
5. Failure to abide by the tour policies set forth by History Capers LLC and/or disorderly or aggressive behavior toward other participants, History Capers LLC tour guides, or others will result in a participant's immediate dismissal from the tour without a refund.
6. Parents or guardians of children under 18 years old are responsible for their child’s safety and behavior on the tour.
7. History Capers LLC reserves the right to make changes in the scheduled itinerary for the comfort and safety of its tour participants, or when deemed appropriate according to the best judgment of the guide.
8. Tour participants who decide to leave the tour before its completion assume all risks inherent in their decision to leave and waive all liability against History Capers LLC arising from that decision.
9. History Capers LLC is not in any way affiliated with or sponsored by the City of Cape May.
10. By the nature of this type of activity, tour participants may be exposed to a variety of hazards and risks, foreseen or unforeseen. Tour participants voluntary assume all risks associated with taking a History Capers LLC walking tour, including but not limited to risks of loss, property damage, personal injury, and death.
11. By participating in a History Capers LLC walking tour, participants agree to waive, discharge, and agree not to sue History Capers LLC, the City of Cape May, or any of their officers, agents, servants or employees (hereinafter referred to as releasees) from any and all liability, claims, demands, actions and causes of action whatsoever arising out of or related to any loss, damage, or injury, including death, as a result of participating in a tour, whether caused by the negligence of the releasees or otherwise. Participants also agree to indemnify and hold harmless the releasees from any loss, liability, damage or costs, including court costs and attorney fees, that they may incur due to their participation in said tour, whether caused by the negligence of the releasees or otherwise.
12. Tour participants agree not to hold History Capers LLC or any releasees responsible for any supernatural activity experienced before, during, or after participation on the tour.
700 Washington Street, 700 Washington Street, Cape May, United States