About this Event
Finding the Creative Spark in (Bio)Medical Research
A joint EMPA and EMERALD MD/PhD conference
Join us on October 26-27th in Barcelona for an extraordinary event designed specifically to fuel your passion for research and ignite your creative spark. This event is perfect for any (aspiring) MD/PhD students, medical doctors, and biomedical researchers looking to push the boundaries of traditional research methods and explore innovative approaches to solving complex problems that can help to bridge the gap between the clinics and the lab.
Here's why you should be part of this exciting event:
- Inspiring Role Models: Hear from accomplished MD/PhD professionals who have successfully integrated research into their medical practice. Be inspired by their stories, learn from their experiences, and gain valuable insights into how you can leverage creativity to excel in your own dual-degree pursuits.
- Networking with Peers: Connect with like-minded (aspiring)MD/PhD students from across Europe who share your aspirations and understand the unique path you have chosen. Build a supportive network, exchange ideas, and forge collaborations that can enrich your future research endeavors.
- Showcasing Your Research: Seize the chance to present your original research findings or innovative ideas through poster sessions or oral presentations. Share your work with a receptive audience of peers, experts, and potential collaborators, receiving valuable feedback and recognition for your contributions.
- Stimulating Discussions: Engage in meaningful conversations with our esteemed speakers and fellow MD/PhD students during our dedicated round table discussion on MD/PhD programs. This intimate setting provides the perfect opportunity to ask questions, seek advice, and build connections with professionals who are experienced with (setting up) MD/PhD programs. Benefit from their wealth of knowledge, exchange ideas, and explore potential collaborations that can shape the future of MD/PhDs in your country.
- Mentorship Opportunities: Benefit from the guidance and mentorship of experienced researchers and professionals who are passionate about nurturing the next generation of MD/PhD talent. Gain valuable advice, insights, and support as you navigate your academic and research journey.
The annual conference of the European MD/PhD Association (EMPA)aims to inspire and connect (aspiring) MD/PhDs from all over Europe and to provide a stage of excellence where young physician-scientists can present their research. One of its key purposes is to bring young MD/PhDs in contact with brilliant and established physician-scientists who can provide insights and expert adivce advice on a life combining medicine and research.
This year's conference is taking place in collaboration with the EMERALD Programme, the first European-wide PhD Programme for Medical Doctors, coordinated by the Center for Genomic Regulation (CRG) in Barcelona, with the mission of training the next generation of physician-scientists in 8 top research institutes across 7 European countries.
EMERALD is represented in Barcelona by the Center for Genomic Regulation (CRG) and the August Pi i Sunyer Biomedical Research Institute (IDIBAPS), which has been actively working towards impulsing the training of physician-scientists and fostering close collaborations between hospitals and research institutes.
Our venue will be the Auditorium of the Barcelona Biomedical Research Park (PRBB), home of CRG and located in front of the beautiful Barceloneta Beach. The PRBB one of the largest biomedical research clusters in Southern Europe, counting with a large scientific infrastructure that is physically connected to the ‘Hospital del Mar de Barcelona’ and that gathers together six public research centres closely coordinated amongst them:
- Hospital del Mar Medical Research Institute (IMIM)
- Department of Medicine and Life Sciences (MELIS-UPF)
- Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG)
- Institute of Global Health (ISGlobal)
- Institute of Evolutionary Biology (IBE: CSIC-UPF)
- EMBL Barcelona
Make sure to submit your current research in the form of a scientific abstract to have the chance to be selected for an oral or poster presentation at this year's conference! The annual EMPA conference award will be handed out for the best presentation in both the oral and poster categories.
You will be able to submit your abstract through this form. Please note that it is possible to return and modify it at a later stage after you have purchased your ticket. In order to modify it, go to "view and manage your order here" under the section "order summary" of your confirmation email. It works best to do this on your computer. This will bring you to Eventbrite, once you have logged in, go back to your ticket and click on "edit" in the right upper corner. The deadline for abstract submission is September 1st, 2023 at 23:59 CEST.
Rules and guidelines for abstract submission:
The abstract title must be in UPPER CASE and limited to a maximum of 25 words. Please note that symbols are considered within the word count. Abstract text should be limited to 300 words including acknowledgments. (Please note: word count is affected when graphs/tables are included).
The abstract must be structured into the following sections:
- Background and aim
Abstracts must contain data and meet international ethical standards. Abbreviations should be defined. Use generic names of drugs. The presentation must be balanced and contain no commercial or promotional content. Submissions may not contain patient names, hospital ID numbers or other identifying information.
Please ensure that your abstract does not contain spelling, grammatical or scientific errors. No corrections are possible after the submission deadline. The abstract text, as well as the abstract title and the list of authors will be reproduced exactly as submitted. No proof reading will be done.
EMERALD, the International PhD Programme for Medical Doctors, is the first European-wide PhD Programme for Medical Doctors that trains and nurtures the next generation of physician-scientists. EMERALD recruited through open, competitive calls, 24 medical doctors, from 17 nationalities, to carry out a PhD in cutting-edge research in European centres of excellence in life sciences and biomedicine. EMERALD is coordinated by the Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) in Barcelona and brings together 8 Hiring Research Centres from 7 EU member states, and 37 partner organizations across 10 European countries.
EMERALD received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Grant Agreement No 101034290, and the EMERALD Consortium.
PRBB Auditorium, Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG), 88 Carrer del Doctor Aiguader, Barcelona, Spain
EUR 50.00 to EUR 100.00