About this Event
The High Bridge connecting Manhattan to the Bronx over the Harlem River isn't just any old bridge — it was the famed centerpiece of the Old Croton Aqueduct, which carried fresh running water to New York City for the first time beginning in the 1840s. Why was this project so important to the city's survival and what remnants can still be seen today? It's time to head to Washington Heights and uncover the incredible story of New York City's oldest bridge.
Join New York Adventure Club for a special exploration of Highbridge Park, from walking on the historic High Bridge that was crucial to New York's first source of running water to ascending the iconic 200-foot-high Highbridge Water Tower.
Led by an Urban Park Ranger, our unique experience will include:
- An overview of the Old Croton Aqueduct, New York City's first source of running water that opened in 1842
- The story behind the construction of the High Bridge and Highbridge Water Tower, which finally brought badly-needed fresh water to Manhattan beginning in 1848
- Special access inside the Highbridge Water Tower for a panoramic view from the top of the 200-foot structure
- A guided walk across High Bridge to see and learn about the bridge's architecture, as well as the area's significance throughout New York history
- The reasons behind why the pedestrian walkway on High Bridge was off-limits for decades, and the people and organizations that helped restore and reopen it in 2015
Click here to see photos from one of our last High Bridge experiences.
See you there!
*Please bring a water bottle and comfortable pair of shoes as we’ll be doing a lot of walking and stair climbing
**The top of the Highbridge Water Tower can only be accessed via a 200-foot spiral staircase
"Your events are a wonderful way of learning about my home town, even the virtual ones, which I really appreciate since I live in Seattle." -Marguerite
"A water tower access is an amazing experience! A lot of information and interesting facts." -Yevgeniya
"It was a thrill to be able to climb the tower. The guides were very informative, and I learned a lot about the entire water delivery system." -Charles
By attending a New York Adventure Club experience, you accept our terms of service.
Categories: In-Person, Neighborhood Tours
Event Venue & Nearby Stays
Highbridge Water Tower (Outside Entrance), Highbridge Water Tower, New York, United States