About this Event
Known for their delectable Cantonese pastries and eye-catching packaging, Tong Heng Confectionery is a heritage brand known to many Singaporeans. Come and join this exclusive workshop with Ana Fong who will be demonstrating the art of Cantonese pastry-making and sharing the stories of her family’s business!
Meet fourth-generation of Tong Heng, Ana Fong!
Hello everyone, I am Ana Fong, the fourth-generation of Tong Heng Confectionery. My journey with Tong Heng is full of twists and turns. Like most family businesses, I worked at the cashier on and off as a teenager. However, at one point, I made a clean break with Tong Heng, vowing to never work there again.
Never did I imagine I would return to the family business in 2011 to learn pastry making from scratch from my two aunties - the third-generation owners of the business. As I put all my time and energy to learn the skill from scratch, I began to realise why this business meant so much to my family and I felt that urge to update Tong Heng to make it more relevant to a changing customer base!
Gaining their trust over the years was understandably difficult as they were rightfully skeptical of my commitment but the moment I knew the trust was there was when they gave me reins over the renovation of our shopfront. So here we are today and I am very proud of the progress Tong Heng has made and will continue to make! I look forward to sharing more about my story and the art of Cantonese pastry making this coming September!
More about Tong Heng Confectionery
A beloved heritage brand known for their diamond-shaped egg tarts, Tong Heng Confectionery is no stranger to both the younger and older generation. Tong Heng’s doors first opened in 1935 at Smith Street as a teahouse (茶室), serving Cantonese pastries, coffee and tea. Although the brand went through a reimaging campaign in 2018, it has stayed true to its Cantonese roots, using ingredients and recipes that are unique to the Chinese culture. As the business grows, Tong Heng is hoping to grow their brand further to gain regional or international recognition.
Details of the Programme
- Language: English
- Tue, 28 Sep: 1400-1500, 1600-1700
- Meeting Point:
- Entrance of Tong Heng Confectionery (285 South Bridge Rd Singapore 058833)
- Please arrive 20 minutes before the event for registration. Our facilitators will be wearing our event t-shirt.
- Parking is available at Maxwell Food Centre.
- Venue is wheelchair accessible.
- The event will proceed rain or shine.
Who should come?
- All are welcome to participate!
What to bring?
- Participants should bring along an umbrella and a bottle of water.
- Participants are encouraged to bring their own food containers.
- Participants are encouraged to dress comfortably.
- Food is non-halal and not suitable for vegetarians. Recipe contains lard, eggs and gluten.
- Asthmatic individuals are encouraged to bring their inhaler.
- All hosts and facilitators in this tour programme are fully vaccinated or have taken a Pre-Event Test (PET) in the past 24 hours
- Facilitators in this tour or programme are trained in basic first-aid.
- All participants must complete TraceTogether, a health declaration form and temperature taking at the start of the event.
- All participants must wear their masks properly throughout the event.
- All participants must maintain a one-metre distance from other participants during the event.
- All participants will be issued with coloured stickers and be divided into smaller groups. Participants must stay with their groups and not intermingle between the groups
- All ticket sales are final. There will be no refund if you wish to cancel your tickets.
- By agreeing to participate in the event, participants are responsible for any injury, loss or damage due to the negligence on his/her part or of the children under his/her charge.
- Participants must abide by the house rules set out by the host. Facilitators will brief participants at the start of the programme.
- Videos and photographs may also be taken during the event. By registering for this event, you give My Community full rights to use the photos for marketing and publicity.
- It is compulsory for a parent/guardian to accompany any child of or under the age of 12.
- Follow us at @mycommunitysg on Instagram and @myqueenstown on Facebook.
- Visit mycommunityfestival.sg for all our latest updates.
Event Venue & Nearby Stays
Tong Heng Traditional Cantonese Pastries 東興傳統中式餅食, 285 South Bridge Road, Singapore, Singapore