About this Event
Capturing the Spirit of Oakland Halloween tours are a favorite autumn tradition in Atlanta, selling out every year. The event returns for its 17th year with captivating stories and a new route, offering two weekends of history and delight.
Designed to enlighten rather than frighten, the Capturing the Spirit of Oakland Halloween tours bring to life the stories of some of the cemetery’s notable and notorious residents and allow visitors to experience Oakland Cemetery after dark. A costumed docent guides you through the cemetery’s beautifully lit Victorian Gardens where you’ll meet some of Oakland’s fascinating residents and hear their tales. The evening also includes musical performances, craft beer and cocktails, and an Oakland gift shop. Guests are encouraged to arrive in costume to set the mood.Halloween Night VIP Experience
New this year is the unique opportunity to experience Oakland Cemetery on Halloween night! Halloween night VIP ticket holders receive exclusive access to Oakland Cemetery on October 31. In addition to smaller group Capturing the Spirit tours, VIP tickets include
- A three-course dinner in the newly-renovated Oakland Bell Tower
- A bar with beer, wine and a signature cocktail
- Live music and entertainment
- An interactive addition to one of the featured resident stops during the Capturing the Spirit of Oakland tour
Purchasing VIP Tickets
VIP night events occur in a timed sequence. When you purchase your tickets, please pay close attention to the time of your dinner versus the time of your tour. Capacity limits do not allow Historic Oakland Foundation to switch dinner and tour times after purchase.
Three types of VIP tickets are offered:
- Table (seating for 6)
If you are purchasing for more than one person and would like to ensure that you'll be seated together, please purchase couple or table tickets. Table tickets are offered only as a set of six.
Please note: Onsite parking will be limited or unavailable due to construction of the new Oakland Cemetery Visitor Center. We recommend arriving at Oakland via MARTA (Oakland Cemetery is a five to seven-minute walk from the Martin Luther King Jr. MARTA station) or rideshare. Limited street parking is available on Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive and on Oakland Avenue as well as in the surrounding neighborhoods.
What you should know
- Tickets are limited to six per transaction. Children's tickets are available for those ages 4-12.
- Please ensure you’ve carefully selected your preferred date and time before completing your transaction, as no refunds or exchanges will be issued.
- Your ticket time is your entry time, the time you will be admitted into Oakland Cemetery. Once inside, you’ll have time to get a drink, use the restroom, and enjoy the entertainment before getting in line for a tour.
- Capturing the Spirit of Oakland tours last approximately 75 minutes and depart every 15 minutes. The tour route is approximately one mile. Please anticipate that your experience in the cemetery will last at least two hours.
- Capturing the Spirit of Oakland is a rain or shine event. No refunds will be issued.
- Our limited-edition long-sleeved shirt designs change every year. This year’s shirt was designed by Methane Studios, whose art will also be featured on a poster. Capturing the Spirit of Oakland artwork is on the shirt front and featured residents are on the back. Order your shirt early, as we cannot guarantee availability at the event.
- On Tuesday, October 31, Capturing the Spirit of Oakland VIP Night ticket holders will enjoy an exclusive, one-of-a-kind Capturing the Spirit of Oakland VIP Experience including a delicious three-course meal with drinks. Guests will have the cemetery to themselves after dark as they enjoy a small group Capturing the Spirit Halloween tour experience. Vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free diets can all be accommodated, as can most food allergies.
Keep your eyes open: Ticket holders will be sent a list of frequently asked questions in the week before the tours. This will include information about parking, dinner deals with local restaurants, and what you need to know about your experience at Oakland Cemetery.
Event Venue & Nearby Stays
Historic Oakland Cemetery, 248 Oakland Avenue Southeast, Atlanta, United States
USD 25.00 to USD 45.00