** REGISTRATIONS WILL BE CAPPED AT 20 PEOPLE TO ENSURE LIMITED IN-PERSON ATTENDANCE**
Do you want to learn bike maintenance basics and how to adjust your brakes to ensure a smooth and safe ride? The BEST Bike Maintenance: Brake Adjustments class, presented by Metro and ActiveSGV is an in-person class that will provide an overview of basic bike maintenance and how to make brake adjustments on your own. You are encouraged to bring your bike for specific questions. Participants will receive a FREE helmet and a set of bike lights!
Pre-registration and attendance confirmation is required for all participants. Once you are registered, we will send you a waiver and location information to confirm your attendance. If you are attending with other family members, each person must be registered in order to attend. Register now to guarantee your spot!
We will be observing strict protocols during class to ensure safety and comfort for all participants and instructors. All instruction will be conducted outdoors to maximize physical distancing.
Please keep in mind the following rules while attending class:
-You must confirm your attendance in advance of class so we know to expect you and hold your spot. Every attendee must sign-in and complete a waiver.
-If you are feeling sick or unwell, please stay home. There are many virtual class options still available.
-Even if you are fully vaccinated , please wear a mask or face covering at all times while on site. If you are not yet fully vaccinated , you are still required to wear a mask or face covering outdoors when you cannot keep a safe distance while exercising (at least 8 feet).
-Staff and instructors reserve the right to refuse service to anyone who does not follow these protocols (e.g., arrives without prior registration, does not complete waiver, refuses to wear a mask).
Check out these other class options:
Virtual Classes (English)
- Bicycling 101: Bike Basics (June 2)
- Bicycling 101: Rules of the Road (June 3)
- Bicycling 101: Shifting Your Gears (June 5)
- Bicycling 101: Rules of the Road for Night Riding (June 8)
- Bike Maintenance: Rear Derailleur Adjustment (June 9)
- Bike Maintenance: Flat Repair (June 12)
- Bike Maintenance: Front Derailleur Adjustment (June 16)
- Bicycling 101: Making Use of Public Transit Bike Infrastructure (June 16)
- Bicycling 101: Rules of the Road for Group Rides (June 17)
- Bike Maintenance: Brake Adjustments (June 19)
- Bike Maintenance: Fix-A-Flat (June 22)
- Bike Maintenance: Emergency Roadside Repairs, Part 1 (June 23)
- Bicycling 101: Bike Safety Check-Up (June 26)
- Bike Maintenance: Emergency Roadside Repairs, Part 2 (June 30)
Virtual Classes (Spanish)
- Ciclismo 101 (12 de junio)
- Ciclismo 101: Infraestructura de bicicletas de transporte público (17 de junio)
- Ciclismo 101: Chequeo de seguridad en bicicleta (26 de junio)
In-Person Classes (Limited Attendance)
-Bicycling 101: Bike Safety Check-Up (June 26)
-Bike Maintenance: Flat Repair (Date TBD)
Who Should Sign-Up:
If you are a novice rider who is interested in learning about basic bike maintenance and repair, and how to seek out additional help from a local bike shop or co-op.
What You’ll Learn:
- ABC Quick Check
- Basic Maintenance Overview
- Brake Adjustments Demo
- Bike Services / Online Events Offered by Metro
What You’ll Need:
-Mask or face covering (even if you are fully vaccinated )
-All participants will get a free helmet and a set of bike lights.
Registration & Waivers:
Participants ages 16 and up may participate in this class. All participants must sign a waiver to participate; if the participant is under 18 years of age, a parent or legal guardian must accompany the minor.
Metro's Bicycle Education Safety Training (BEST) Program currently offers bike classes at 4 different levels—Bicycling 101 and Bike 1, 2, & 3. If you are interested in taking classes at the next level or joining a community bike ride, check out the full event calendar. For more info on how to ride a bike in LA County, visit metro.net/gobike.
Active SGV provides community events, family-friendly bike rides, open streets, transit improvements, green infrastructure, and advocacy for a more sustainable, equitable and livable San Gabriel Valley!
Event Venue & Nearby Stays
Los Angeles, California, United States