About this Event
Vernon Cases Community Garden invites you to volunteer at a fun, experiential and educational REduce REuse and REcycle Autumn Fair.
Volunteers will provide clear information on what to expect and how they can contribute to cleaning up our city and improving our environment. We will provide you and residents with verbal and written information on what items can be placed in the bins. We will present practical ways in which “waste” can be viewed (REthink) as a resource that can be REused and reintegrated (REimagined).
We will have two workshops led by garden members, information booths and an arts and crafts area. Every workshop, information booth, activity was designed to be in harmony with the name of the event: REduce REuse REcycle REthink and REimagine. You will be assigned to an area (information booth, arts and crafts, red wiggler table) on the day of the event.
Please wear weather appropriate comfortable clothing and shoes. Bring a water bottle and snack if you like. There are delis, markets, a coffee shop and restaurants within a short walking distance of the garden. In very inclement weather, you will be notified if the event is rescheduled. There is no bathroom onsite, the closest clean public bathroom is about a 7 minute walk from the garden.
We welcome volunteers of ages 16 and up. Volunteers under the age of 18 MUST be accompanied by a parent.
Registration is required for participation in this event. Please make sure to use the same name and email for all Master Composter Certificate Course events.
Cancellation / No-Show:
- Please give ample notice in case you are no longer able to attend an event you’re registered for so that we may offer your slot to someone else.
- Failure to give notice will be considered a no-show for the event.
- Repeated no-shows may result in being barred from attending future events.
- Lateness may result in being denied course credit for and/or participation in a workshop/ field trip. In cases where you are denied course credit, you will need to retake the workshop/ field trip in order for it to count towards your certification.
- For volunteer events, you will only receive credit for the amount of time you are present for the activity.
- If you are not feeling well, please refrain from attending any in-person event, and notify the course administrator at your earliest opportunity to avoid receiving a no-show.
- Registration is required to participate in all Master Composter Certificate Course events.
- We cannot guarantee your admittance to a Master Composter Certificate Course event if you aren’t registered for it. Failure to register may result in being denied course credit for and/or participation in the event.
About the NYC Compost Project Master Composter Certificate Course
The NYC Compost Project Master Composter Certificate Course is an advanced compost education and outreach program. The course is designed to build a citywide network of educators, advocates and community composters to support NYC Department of Sanitation composting initiatives.
To become a Certified NYC Master Composter, registrants need to complete all requirements (7 workshops, 2 field trips, and 30 volunteer hours) within one (1) year from their start date. This activity counts toward the thirty (30) total volunteer hours required for the Master Composter Certificate. For more information, including how to register for other opportunities, please visit makecompost.nyc/mastercomposter.
When you register for a Master Composter workshop, volunteer activity and/or field trip, you will receive email notifications for future Master Composter events.
Event Venue & Nearby Stays
Vernon Cases Community Garden, 42 Vernon Avenue, Brooklyn, United States