About this Event
NIHR ARC South London’s annual Active Involvement in Research event brings together patients, service users, carers and local people, researchers, health and care professionals and organisations, in south London and beyond. The theme of this year’s event is:Exploring south London health and care needs and inequalities through research: sharing insights from patient and community organisations
A range of local research teams and diverse communities in south London are exploring how to tackle health and care inequalities, and address the needs of people with multiple health conditions more effectively. This includes research led by patient networks and voluntary and community organisations, as well as by universities, NHS bodies and local authorities. Bringing together knowledge from different sources, especially where this draws on lived experience, can help us explore how to improve health and wellbeing.
Speakers will include:
- Healthwatch Sutton, exploring the health and care impacts of the cost of living crisis, including on people who already have chronic health conditions or are using care services.
- Homelessness charity Groundswell drawing on peer research approaches to explore the local effects of multiple disadvantage, including experiences of homelessness, insecure housing, mental ill-health, substance use and/or contact with the criminal justice system.
The event will also include networking opportunities and smaller breakout discussions to help inform future research as well as consider the implications for the wider health and care system in south London.
By bringing together different perspectives and sources of knowledge, we aim to create a fuller picture of what helps or hinders health and wellbeing in south London and lay foundations for future research addressing health inequalities.
- The event will be held at Coin Street Conference Centre, 108 Stamford St, London SE1 9NH (near Waterloo station).
- All are welcome, but places are limited so it is advisable to book early.
- We will provide lunch and refreshments during the afternoon.
If you are unable to attend, there will be an alternative evening online event in late October, as an opportunity to hear some of the presentations and contribute to discussions. For more information on this alternative event, please see this Eventbrite page.
Which event should I attend?
Many people will wish to attend only the in-person or online event, though it is possible to register for both. Key points raised at both events will be brought together in a report afterwards, which will be widely shared and considered within the ARC.
Read about Active Involvement in Research 2022.
Please note: Attendance is free. Payments will be made to public members who are presenters or facilitators or who have been invited by the involvement team to represent their theme, advisory body or organisation, if agreed in advance. To discuss this further, please contact Savi Hensman on [email protected]
For more information please contact Savi Hensman, patient, service user, carer and public involvement coordinator, email: [email protected]
Event Venue & Nearby Stays
Coin Street Neighbourhood Centre, 108 Stamford Street, London, United Kingdom