About this Event
Join tour guide Patti Swanson for a walking tour of Chicago's Printer's Row neighborhood, offered in partnership with Mysterious Chicago and Effing Chicago's MYSTERICON 2023. See the full event lineup by clicking here (link coming soon).
You can probably guess what industry once dominated Chicago's Printer's Row, but do you know what they printed there — or how they did it? Drawing equally from her printmaking experience and years of studying Chicago architecture, Patti will lead you on a tour that explores the important history of this inky pocket neighborhood. We’ll learn how printing works, and how the printing press revolutionized the world! Discover what we printed here, and how the needs of Chicago printers fueled the invention of the world's first skyscraper! And don’t forget the juicy bits: this area was also once part of our notorious Vice District, with plenty of salacious stories in its sordid past.
DETAILS & CONSIDERATIONS:
- Meet your guide out in front of Dearborn Station, 47 West Polk Street. Please be on time, as we won't wait for latecomers.
- Advanced registration is required (no walk-ups).
- Paid parking is available nearby, but we recommend taking public transit.
- This event runs rain or shine, and takes place entirely outdoors.
- Please dress appropriately for a two-mile outdoor walk. Wear comfortable shoes and bring bottled water!
- No restrooms will be available during this program.
- Tips are welcome and appreciated, as are donations to Chicago for Chicagoans! In addition to her work with Effing Chicago, Patti runs a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to helping Chicagoans learn the history of their own city in an affordable and approachable way. Learn more here, or donate here!
- Please buy with caution, as refunds for this event are only offered in extreme circumstances. Please inform the event organizer if you need to cancel.
Questions? Email [email protected].
Event Venue & Nearby Stays
Dearborn Station, 47 West Polk Street, Chicago, United States