About this Event
About The 901 Poetry Open Mic
Note: Due to our new business structure. Only a limited amount of tickets are available via Eventbrite
PLEASE VISIT: WWW.PERFORM901.COM FOR PRESALE TICKETS OR PAY AT THE DOOR.
The 901 Poetry Open Mic Series (in partnership with the Hi-Tone Cafe) is an organic, safe and all-round cool open mic created in June of 2021 by poet, writer and humanist Steve Fox. It is co-hosted by poet, DJ, writer, vibe curator and renaissance man Francis, The Truman and trans-disciplinary artist, painter, graphic designer & entrepreneur, Sumo The Artist. And of course, JMitch on them keys all night long.
The 901 Poetry Open Mic Purpose
The purpose of 901 Poetry Open Mic Series is to give voice to and showcase Memphis’ poetry, spoken word and performing arts community in a loving, friendly, passionate and collaborative fashion.
The 901 Poetry Open Mic Flow
We keep it simple! Doors open at 7:00 pm. The mic is hot at 7:30 pm
There are two (2) of open mic sets with one intermission. You are free to just chill with us or jump on our open mic list to share your inner most thoughts with our small, but mighty world.
- Set 1: 9 slots
- Intermission: 15 min
- Set 2: 9 slots
Open mic participants are welcome to sign up to perform 1 poem per set. If the open mic list doesn't fill up, participants are welcome to sign up again and perform once more.
If you purchase an advance"open mic ticket", you will automatically be placed on the open mic list. When you arrive, feel free to touch base with the hosts and move your name around if need be.
Open mic tips and guidelines:
- Be ye unafraid...but it's cool if you are. Embrace it and be comfy!
- Be as prepared as you like. The more prepared you are, the better you'll feel.
- In the spirit of poetry slams -- although you are NOT in competition -- we encourage all open mic participants to focus on three things when taking the stage: content, stage presence and delivery! The audience will appreciate this. Believe us.
- Each performance slot can last 4-6 minutes. During that time, participants may perform 1-2 pieces of work. (original or not. Credit must be given to creator of all work that is not original.)
We value free speech, but please note that hateful content WILL NOT be tolerated; the Hi-Tone staff and/or the Open Mic Partners will kindly remove artists or general admission visitors who perform, react with or showcase hateful speech and/or behavior.
- Educate yourself about COVID-19 by doing research on how it affects the human body.
- Be sanitary! Wash your hands with warm soap/water and use some form of hand sanitizer (60% alcohol-based).
- Avoid super-close contact with people. (You shouldn't be that close to people anyway without their permission).
- Wear your mask when moving around in the venue, please. When seated, enjoy yourself but always use good sense. Like your grandma told you!)
OUR MOST EXPENSIVE TICKETS ARE HERE ON EVENTBRITE! Register for those at your discretion OR go over to our and get the local deal.
$9.01 - advance tickets through Eventbrite
$12 - at the door.
Advanced tickets are HIGHLY recommended due to the growth of our open mic.
If you haven any questions, comments, concerns or would like to inquire about advertising, vendor partnership or complimentary tickets, please to call or text Steven Fox at 929-343-8707 or [email protected]
Peace and Love!
Event Venue & Nearby Stays
Hi Tone, 282-284 North Cleveland Street, Memphis, United States